Views
Helpful
Replies

UserTracking: mac address - IP address matching

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

Dears,

Is there any info out there on how the matching of IP's and Mac addresses works?

Does UT gather ARP tables from all managed devices or just from specific ones?

Could I cheat for example by having a switch ping the subnet and have UT use this arp table rather then the unsupport default gateway?

Thanks,

Michel

1 Reply 1

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

I managed to reduce the impact of the issue for my customer by importing a list containing the mac address and username into UT.

Searching for the username in UT now works, but finding a server is still difficult sometimes.

Based on the show ARP I retrieved from the ASA firewall (the default gateway) it was peanuts to combine it with a list extracted from their IP management system.

Still the fact that the IP and therefore the hostname field remains empty is bothering the customer.

It really is a shame that such a simple thing as importing an ARP table is not supported from a cisco device.

I hope someone can give me a hint how to work arround this until cisco fixes this gap in the UT.

Cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: