cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UserTracking on ISR Routers - How can I do UT on HWICs ?

mbilgrav
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have several ISR one's i.e. C2801 and C1841 in my network.

They are deployed with HWIC ethernet switch modules:

HWIC-D-9ESW - C2801

HWIC-4ESW - C1841

I seem to be unable to discover end hosts connected directly into these ports.

If I have a switch connected to the HWIC ports instead and the end hosts resides in the ports in the switch there are no problem.

Routers are managed all right in all other matters.

I think this is a design issue the UT is not done on router ports, and that the HWIC are treated at router ports instead on switch ports.

How can I do UT on HWICs ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are correct.  UT does not support switch ports on routers.  Support for the BRIDGE-MIB has only recently been added to those platforms (in 15.x code), but UT has not been updated to treat those routers as potential L2-capable devices.  There is no workaround for this at this time.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are correct.  UT does not support switch ports on routers.  Support for the BRIDGE-MIB has only recently been added to those platforms (in 15.x code), but UT has not been updated to treat those routers as potential L2-capable devices.  There is no workaround for this at this time.

thank you for your reply.

So if I understand this coorectly, there will be support for this in future LMS3.2 revisions but only if I upgrade to IOS15.x ?

There will most likely never be support in LMS 3.2 for this.  However, LMS 4.x will likely see support, but will require a version of IOS with BRIDGE-MIB support.  That will mean 15.1T code.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: