Views
Helpful
Replies

Using NetConfig to do a TFTP transfer

random_camden
Level 1
Level 1

Using RME in VMS 3.5

When typing in the following command manually, it prompts for 3 seperate <CR> to confirm the prompts..

copy tftp://192.168.254.253/c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-19.bin flash:

I have created a job in NetConfig running the following script:

copy tftp://192.168.254.253/c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-19.bin flash:<R><R><R>

This gives the following output result (failed):

copy tftp://192.168.254.253/c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-19.bin flash:

Destination filename [c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-19.bin]?

Accessing tftp://192.168.254.253/c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-19.bin...

Erase flash: before copying? [confirm]

Erasing flash filesystem will remove all files! COntinue? [confirm]

FAILURE

It appears it is failing at the point where it would normally start the transfer..

Any ideas?

9 Replies 9

random_camden
Level 1
Level 1

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

Why don't you use RME's Software Distribution feature?

Is the image in the proper directory on 192.168.254.253?

We can't use the RME's inbuilt distribution, as the server is source NATted. Cisco have confirmed to us that the system doesn;t support it (ie the remote device sees a different address to the physical address of the server). IOS is in the right place on the server. Works fine when I type the command in manually on the device.

The only thing I can think is that it is timing out while the erase/copy of the flash is going on eeeeeeeeee.....!!!!!!!!! etc..

NAT is absolutely supported. In RME 3.5 you need to enable support in config.properties, then add the NAT'd IP address of the RME server to one of the User Defined fields.

See http://server:1741/help/RMcore/UGuide/ug_nat2.html#1024125

in the RME online help for more details.

Thanks jclarke ! Just goes to show the TAC engineers don't know everything!

Tested and working..

However,, I'd still like to be able to do it the other way (from a remote IOS store, using the tftp copy shown above).

Any ideas to get that working with the interactive prompts?

Have you tried the option of first doing the erase in the job with cli and then copying the file without erase?

I have split it into two seperate jobs.

One that erases the flash. This works fine.

Then the second job:

copy tftp://192.168.254.253/c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-19.bin flash:N

This should do a when it asks "Destination File", then a "N" when asked "Do you want to erase flash [confirm]".

It still comes back with FAILURE on the line after the [confirm].

Without a sniffer trace and logs, it will be difficult to determine exactly what is causing the failure. However, a timeout is a good guess. Try editing NMSROOT/objects/cmf/data/TransportIos.ini, and increase the TelnetTimeout. After making the modification, restart JRunProxyServer and ChangeAudit.

Thanks once again jclarke!

Changed the timeout and it now works great!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: