Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using RME to upgrade a large # of devices -

We have about 5,000 3550 switches that need to be upgraded. These switches don't have RW strings but I'm planning to group the devices in groups of (I don't know how many yet). I will then use Netconfig to put a write strings on the 1st selected group, upgrade the devices then use Netconfig to remove the RW strings from those device.

Questions:

How many devices, realistically could be upgraded in say a 4 or 8 hour period? I'm assuming RME reaches out to about 10 or so at a time, performs the upgrade then moves to the next 10 devices in that predefined group.

Can someone share their experience (+'s and -'s)using RME to perform the upgrades?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Using RME to upgrade a large # of devices -

I can aswer the first question partially. While the complete answer depends on your network configuration, and how resilient it is, whether or not the switches will be rebooted immediately, etc., Cisco recommends no more than 12 devices be done in parallel in general. Some networks and SWIM jobs can allow for more parallel threads, but 12 is a high performance max. The default is 2. This can be adjusted in NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/rmeng/WEB-INF/classes/com/cisco/nm/rmeng/swim/drivers/distribution.properties.

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Using RME to upgrade a large # of devices -

I can aswer the first question partially. While the complete answer depends on your network configuration, and how resilient it is, whether or not the switches will be rebooted immediately, etc., Cisco recommends no more than 12 devices be done in parallel in general. Some networks and SWIM jobs can allow for more parallel threads, but 12 is a high performance max. The default is 2. This can be adjusted in NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/rmeng/WEB-INF/classes/com/cisco/nm/rmeng/swim/drivers/distribution.properties.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content