cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UT with switches 3560

ocajica
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody, I have a little problem, on database of user tracking does not appear entries from switches 3560. On this switches we have connected Avaya Ip phones + Pc´s, using every port on trunk mode, Switches works with IOS 12.2(25)SEB4 IP base release.

Dou you have any idea about who can it resolve the problem ?

Thanks

Manuel

13 Replies 13

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

User Tracking will check for Cisco IP phones connected to trunk ports. If there are no Cisco IP phones connected to the trunk ports, then User Tracking will not map anything.

Can you try enabling the option "Discover IP Phones on Dot1q trunks in IOS Switches" option in User and Host Acquisition page (LMS2.2) or UT Acquisition settings page (if LMS2.5) and see if atleast PCs are discovered?

regards,

Vasanth

thanks fou your response, but i do not see this option on my LMS 2.5.1

the options that are possible to enable are:

-Enable User Tracking for DHCP Environment

-Use DNS to resolve host names

-Get user names from UNIX hosts

-Get user names from hosts in NT and NDS domains

regards

manuel

catalyts model are WS-C3560-48PS-S and WS-C3560-24PS-S

gscharloo
Level 1
Level 1

the switch 3560 (WS-3560-48TS) is NOT supported in Campusmanager LMS 2.5. (UT) The december 2005 update is not enough for solving this problem. The only solution is waiting for an update !

Cisco don't sell switches that you don't support in Ciscoworks modules !!!!!

I have another device a switch 6506 with CatOS 8.3(7) where i conected on trunk port an ip phone avaya + PC and it doesn´t show me anything on UT.

I din´t find the option "Discover IP Phones on Dot1q trunks in IOS Switches" on campus manager

So its posibble only discover Pc´s on trunk port ?

thanks

This option is removed in the latest version of LMS due to CSCsb92053

You can't do much when you have non-Cisco IP phones.

I use UT with avaya ip phones. It does not only have to be only cisco phones or cdp devices. UT in essence peforms a ping sweep, reads the data switches forwarding table which gives the MAC addresses of end stations(and avaya ip phone), and maps these MAC addresses to the switch port on which each workstation resides.(regardless if pc is behind avaya phone), performs a dns lookup to obtain the hostname for every IP address, and a few other things. I did not set this up, so not sure..but i can tell yuou using avaya ip phones with it is not your problem.

kleo,

Your statement is only partly correct. UT after fetching the forwarding table from switches performs filtering to drop all entries on trunk ports (as these could be entries from other switches connected on these trunks).

Cisco IP phones connected to trunk ports are treated as a special case (based on CDP) and are not filtered.

I'am not exactly sure how it all works, since i don't directly support network management for my org.

Not sure if this matters, but I don't use and explicit 802.1Q trunk when connecting an avaya ip phone with pc. I use aux or voice vlan just like a cisco phone would be configured for all my data switches.

Description to IP phone and PC

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 11

switchport voice vlan 10

no ip address

spanning-tree portfast

This configuration should work well with UT. The issue is only when you trunk the port on which a phone and PC are connected.

thanks for your advices my friends, I changed the port configuration from trunk port to vlan voice on 3560, I check UT and i noticed that on quick report mac-address from PC´s now appears on his own port on 3560, but the mac-address from Ip phones avaya doesn´t appears and If I search on quick report using Ip adress or vlan ID appear data from all the ip phones but its incorrect the device name and port, so any idea abot this behaviour

the switch 3560 (WS-3560-48TS) is NOT supported in Campusmanager LMS 2.5. (UT) There will be soon an update. The only solution is to wait for an update of CW Campusmanager (UT)

First the models our switches are WS-C3560-48PS-S and you would like to check this page, where it´s mentioned that this devices are supoorted by campus manager 4.0.3 LMS 2.5.1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps563/products_device_support_table09186a00804fcfb7.html#wp411461