Views
Helpful
Replies

utlite33 issue: Unable to Disable or use "repair' on NICs

raun.williams
Level 3
Level 3

Hello everyone.

I started a test deployment of the utlite33 utility on the workstations and laptops and am seeing usernames just fine it looks like. However, the probably seems to be with users that need to disable their onboard NIC or Wireless card, or even run a Repair on the wireless card to pick up the network again. We're constantly getting this error: "It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. The connection maybe using one or more protocols that do not support plug-and-play, or it may have been initiaded by another user or system account.

The weird thing is for example, my laptop has 2 wireless connections and it's NIC. The nic is on right now and Wirless connection #1 is on, I can disable Wireless connection #1, but if I try to ENABLE Wireless Connection #2 I get that error. I've also seen it give the error when attempting to disable a connection. This is playing havoc on our ability to doc and undoc our stations as sometimes we need to run a repair to pickup the network if the windows client isn't seeing it..yet we get the above error as well.. What can we do to resolve this.

Thank you,

Raun

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We have had reports about this in the past with Cisco Aironet NICs, but in those cases, an upgrade to the latest ACU+driver fixed the problem. You might try updating to the latest wireless client software and driver to see if the problem persists.

The problem doesn't seem to be limited to Wireless Cards or Cisco. We are using combinations of Cisco and Intel integrated/onboard here in our workstations and laptops. The workstations for the most part don't even have a wirless card, yet we are seeing this issue continue

What version of Windows are these clients running? Are you using NT or NDS domains? Does terminating the UTLite process fix the problem?

These are Windows XP clients on Active Directory/Domain. In the past, terminating the utlite33 process works most of the time, but the help desk as reported today a couple of clients were still unable to enable or disable their adapters. We've since removed the deployment of the software from this area and the issue has dissapeared. We'd really like to be able to use this

I take that back, we also have Broadcom onboard adapters as well. Just tried upgrading the drivers to 9.81.0 which was released in october of this year, still did the same thing. Killed the process, still would not let us disable the nic. Required a reboot after utlite was removed in order to clear it.

I believe you have found a new issue. Please open a TAC service request as this problem needs to be properly tracked.

As a workaround, you might try setting the compatibility mode on the UTLite executable to Windows 98/Windows Me. This will cause UTLite to attempt to use NetBIOS to obtain the MAC address. NB: This may cause UTLite to crash on Windows XP.