cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMS/SecMon Question

gw1500se.
Level 1
Level 1

My apologies if this is not the correct forum. Is anyone running VMS/SecMon on OS X? Does anyone know if it uses Solaris specific features that would prevent it from running on OS X? TIA.

5 Replies 5

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

VMS is currently only officially supported on Solaris or Windows

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/cscowork/ps2330/prod_installation_guides_list.html

I understand that. My question still reamins. Has anyone been able to get it to run on OS X? Does it use any Solaris specfic features that would preclude it from being shoe horned into OS X?

The install script will check the OS, and when it doesn't recognize OS X it will simply abort.

No work-around.

You mean the Mach/XNU-based Mac OS X? Heh, depends on how much "shoe horn" work you're willing to do. Despite the BSD subsystem, Apple has made so many tweaks that OS X is unlike any other *NIX systems. For starters, the CiscoWorks /etc/init.d/dmgtd script needs to be adapted to /Library/StartupItems and the innards rewritten to account for OS X specific packaging method and system paths. After that, probably apply a lot of BSD-to-Solaris or JSP-to-Mac porting guidelines. Finally, see Porting Command Line Unix Tools to Mac OS X: http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2071.html

All in all, I'd guess it's no more or less difficult than porting from Solaris to Windows.

Thanks for the reply. That was the type of info I was looking for. Actually, OS X is not really that far off BSD, they just like to hide stuff. The StartupItems is pretty straight forward, I've written several of those scripts.

At this point what concerns me the most is the Cisco packaging. Since the installer won't work, I'm wondering how difficult it is to figure out what goes where to manually install it.

This may not be worth the effort but I need to investigate it. We may have to buy something else since Cisco doesn't seem to like to support Apple.

This would all be unnecessary if the Intrusion Prevention log supported syslogd like the firewall log does. It seems so simple.