cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Want to find a doc for Cisco private MIB

xzjleo2005
Level 1
Level 1

Q1: I am finding some doc which can detail all Cisco private MIB information. Would anyone share related info with me ?

Q2: What's the coldstart and warmstart mean ? I found a explaination in cisco.com, here it is:

A coldstart trap is normally the first trap (and the first packet) to be sent to a trap destination. The router needs to Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) for the trap destination. Cisco devices drop the trap if an ARP has to be sent out. Therefore, many customers were not seeing the coldstart trap before the fix, which was to send it twice. This is RFC compliant, as the network can also duplicate the coldstart traps. The customer's network management system (NMS) station should be able to handle this (or else it is broken).

I don't really know this answer meaning, so would anyone have any ideas about the coldstart and warmstart?

Thanks a lot!

1 Reply 1

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The technical definitions of coldStart and warmStart are:

A coldStart trap signifies that the sending

protocol entity is reinitializing itself such

that the agent's configuration or the protocol

entity implementation may be altered."

"A warmStart trap signifies that the SNMPv2 entity, acting in an agent role, is reinitializing itself such that its configuration is unaltered."

The key difference in this reinitialization (reload or reboot) is altered versus unaltered.

However basically they are:

coldStart -- The snmp device performs a power on

warmStart -- The snmp device performs a software reload or ipl