Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Watching for processes -

I have RME 3.5 running on Solaris. I want to somehow be notified by email when the Essentials DB can no longer communicate with the RSAC software running on the customers remote syslog server.

I'm not sure but I think this is RmeOrb in pdshow. I tried to do a ps -ef|grep

-i rmeorb but don't see anything so I'm not so sure there is a seperate unix process I can look for. Also, is the output from pdshow reliable?

Has anyone setup email notification to email a person or persons when a piece of RME goes unavailable?

3 REPLIES

Re: Watching for processes -

One more piece of information:

I could make this work using a shell script if I new the process name on the unix side. I have a feeling there's not a single process I could key off of to make this happen though. I realize the pdshow command shows information about the states of seperate process for CW but I'm not too sure on how reliable it is....

Blue

Well, pdshow does show the PID of RmeOrb, so just ps -ef | grep . You'd get something like

casuser 23606 23494 0 Jan 30 ? 0:01 /opt/CSCOpx/lib/vbroker/bin/osagent -p 42342

OK, I see that. Here’s a piece from pdshow for the RmeOrb process:

Process= RmeOrb

State = Program started - No mgt msgs received

Pid = 14524

RC = 0

Signo = 0

Start = 02/06/06 00:01:22

Stop = Not applicable

Core = Not applicable

Info = Application started by administrator request.

When I do a ps –ef|grep 14524, I get this:

johnsonr@nmscrme01 > ps -ef|grep 14524

casuser 14524 14425 0 00:01:22 ? 0:17 /opt/CSCOpx/lib/vbroker/bin/osagent -p 42342

johnsonr@nmscrme01 >

Can I assume that RmeOrb is the process showing a connection to the RSAC (remote syslog analyzer collector) software running on the remote syslog machine?

I’m not 100% sure that it is and I can’t really do a test. The only way I can verify this is to wait for it to go down again then do a pdshow.

Views
Helpful
Replies