Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird links

Hi,

In Campus Manager 3.3 some of the links between 2 directly attached devices are shown not as straight lines SW ------ SW but as a connection with a thicker perpendicular line in the middle SW --||--SW, and the label displayed doesn't show the 2 end devices. I attach an example. The problem is that when I export this information to a .txt file, much of the link information is misleading. Does somebody knows why does this weird lines appear?

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Weird links

Looks to just be a ethernet LAN connection to me. I have several links like this on my topo map often showing several devices linked together on a LAN

Of course, it's connecting 2 ethernet switches. But only a few of the links in my ethernet networkt are displayed in this way. The other links between 2 ethernet switched ports are typical straight lines. Which may be the reason for this difference?

normaly these are shared segments and not switched ones

Cisco Employee

More specifically it looks to be an active shared Ethernet VLAN. So as the post mentions above it is a shared segment rather than a direct connection.

Silver

It would be interresting to know exactly how ciscoworks establishes that the link is a point to point or a shared segment.

I can imagine if the mac table of both switches have both learned the same mac address as being on this trunk port, that Campus can conclude this is a segment, not a trunk.

But a document that describes exactly how ciscoworks does this would be very nice.

I have seen quite a few "strange" connections where campus was unable to work it out or even gave different views in layer2 view and in the topology groups for the same devices.

Cheers,

Michel

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content