cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the best way to manage Non-Cisco devices with LMS 3.0?

mssnider
Level 1
Level 1

I know, it's not supported...but we use LMS as our entire inventory system. I can select all devices and run reports, etc. I've used the User Fields for classifying our devices. For instance, one of the user fields is Network Area. I tag all of our Ruggedcom, Verilink and Nortel routers using this field.

So, back to my question. I think LMS is spending cycles trying to talk to these non-cisco devices? I'm afraid it's part of the reason our LMS system seems so slow. I want to find a way to get LMS to stop trying to communicate with these non-cisco devices permenantly. However, I want to keep them in the system for inventory reporting purposes.

Is this possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, you cannot schedule system inventory collection for specific device classes.  If you want to stop managing the non-Cisco devices in RME, then just set their state to Suspended under RME > Devices > Device Management > Normal Devices.  However, if you do this, you will not be able to collect inventory from these non-Cisco devices at all.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can exclude the devices from Campus Manager and DFM by going to their respective device allocation screens, and excluding the device in question.  As for RME, there's nothing you can do as that is responsible for collecting inventory.

I was looking through my notes from the LMS 3.0 class. I found something stating that I can schedule Inventory Collection for a group of devices. Upon doing so, these devices would be removed from the system-wide Inventory Polling/Collection jobs (RME - Admin - Inventory - System Job Schedule). Will this work in this fashion?

If so, we have a system-wide Inventory Polling job configured to run Daily. We have a system-wide Inventory Collection job scheduled to run Weekly. I thought I could configure two more jobs to run Polling and Collection on our non-cisco devices monthly or yearly?

Our LMS system has a total of over 4600 devices. Over 1000 of them are non-cisco devices.

No, you cannot schedule system inventory collection for specific device classes.  If you want to stop managing the non-Cisco devices in RME, then just set their state to Suspended under RME > Devices > Device Management > Normal Devices.  However, if you do this, you will not be able to collect inventory from these non-Cisco devices at all.

That is exactly what I was looking for. We don't use the other sections of LMS (DFM, IPM, etc). Our main concern is RME and now I know how to stop it from spending cycles on non-cisco devices.

Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco