Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

What is the difference between Login authentication using AAA and Login Local

Hello,

I am currently studying my CCNA and I am curious as to what is the difference between configuring the below 2 options, which seem to achieve the same outcome to me.

1).

Router(config)#username user1 password pass1

Router(config)#line vty 0 15

Router(config-line)login local

Or

2).

Router(config)#username user1 password pass1

Router(config)#aaa new-model

Router(config)#aaa authentication login LOCAL_AUTH local

Router(config)#line vty 0 15

Router(config-line)#login authentication LOCAL_AUTH

Thanks for your replies

2 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: What is the difference between Login authentication using AA

When only looking at the authentication as you have configured it, you are right. Both do the same thing. But when you activate aaa new-model, you have plenty more options to control how your complete AAA is working. Most important, you can send the authentication to an external Authentication-server with RADIUS or TACACS+ or you can do Authorization where the external server controls what you are allowed to do after you have authenticated.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

--
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor: http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Re: What is the difference between Login authentication using AA

Thank you very much for your reply.

Whilst I do not know much about AAA at the moment, it makes sense now.

Views
Helpful
Replies