cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What level of syslogging for duplex mismatch?

chasepettet
Level 1
Level 1

I have syslogging at notification level and informational level on various devices throughout my network. However, even though it shows up with a "show logging" I am not getting a syslog event sent me to when there is a duplex mismatch? I have discovered two mismatches by doing a show logging on the switch that were not sent as messages. Does anyone have any experience with this? It is confusing.

1 Reply 1

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You're seeing it in "show logging" because that's controlled by "logging buffered [syslog level]". To have it sent to your syslog server, adjust "logging trap [syslog level]".

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios11/dbook/dintro.htm

Limiting Messages to a Syslog Server

To limit how many messages are sent to the syslog servers, use the logging trap router configuration command. The full syntax of this command follows:

logging trap level

no logging trap

The logging trap command limits the logging messages sent to syslog servers to messages with a level up to and including the specified level argument. The level argument is one of the keywords listed in Table 1-1.

To send logging messages to a syslog server, specify its host address with the logging command.

The default trap level is informational.

The no logging trap command disables logging to syslog servers.

The current software generates four categories of syslog messages:

Error messages about software or hardware malfunctions, displayed at the errors level.

Interface up/down transitions and system restart messages, displayed at the notification level.

Reload requests and low-process stack messages, displayed at the informational level.

Output from the debug commands, displayed at the debugging level.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: