cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When Exactly Does Items Get Removed From the DCR

GERARD PUOPLO
Level 1
Level 1

We have a situation right now that we have a TAC case open on and I am not looking for help with the problem.

Rather I am looking for better understanding on how Ciscoworks works when devices are automatically removed from your DCR.

Question #1

When CS device discovery is enable and lets say its running over a weekend when you have lots of node downs due to datacenter power down and limited network connectivity. So discovery comes back with a lot of devices that were in the master DCR but are now unreachable. What happens to your DCR ? Are the devices automatically removed from your DCR ?

BTW This forum is extremely useful. Thx

Jerry

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Devices are not automatically deleted from DCR at this time. If the devices are in DCR, but Discovery finds them as unreachable in the current pass, their DCR attributes are simply not updated. The devices will still remain in DCR.

Question #2

What would then account for devices being automatically removed from a master DCR ?

Nothing. You would have to have written a script, or be doing the deletions manually.

We had 100+ devices that appear not to be in our DCR today that were in there on Friday.

We suspect this is due to a discovery hung and Application popup: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library : Runtime Error!

Program: d:\CSCOpx\lib\vbroker\bin\osagent.exe

situation that we have a TAC case open on since no one touched LMS over the weekend.

Final question:

Question #3 "What log file can tells us exacly when devices were removed from a DCR ?

Thx

Not possible. Osagent has nothing to do with DCR.

You can look at the Common Services > Device and Credentials > Reports > Audit Report to see what happened in DCR.

Thanks Joe. I'll have to end here and just have to wait till the admin for this LMS system figures out the issue with TAC. Right now from the Web gui I cannot access the CS device and credentials device audit report. The report generation just hangs. I was hoping that would show changes to the DCR devices from Friday versus Monday.

This may point to an ACS problem. You might try breaking ACS integration temporarily to see if your missing devices reappear, and your GUI issues go away.

Joe

Can you explain why you said this may point to an ACS problem. I can guess the discovery hanging but why would some requests like CS Audit report requests hang ?

The reason I ask is our CW owner finally had to give up waiting for TAC help (even after requeuing the case). So he stopped and restarted the services. And, as we suspected, all devices are back and LMS GUI requests are no longer hanging but we don't know root cause.

Than

ACS controls all access to tasks and devices. If there is a communications problem between LMS, and ACs, you can experience hangs or even missing devices (as LMS thinks they are unauthorized).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: