cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why CW have to logon to config mode to perform snmp credential?

baotran09
Level 1
Level 1

Can gents,

Im using RME to check snmp strings on all devices.

Can someone tell me why does RME needs to logon to config mode ("%SYS-5-CONFIG_I") to perform Device Credential Verification?

Your prompt respond would be greatly appreciated.

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In order to verify the SNMP read-write credentials, RME obtains the current sysLocation, then sets sysLocation to that same value.  This constitutes a configuration change.

What do you mean  "constitutes a configuration change"? CW doesnt update the snmp does it?

Why does it need to go to config mode, it can check the snmp string on priviledge mode.

baotran09
Level 1
Level 1

Hi C;arke,

Are you able to tell me exactly what CW do when it enter config mode?

Does it perform commands like 'wr mem'. IF not what commands does it use in the background?

I work in a environment where change ro Production is quiet strict.

I compare the configs and there's wasnt any changes (unless i missed something).

Is there a way to disable this function?

It doesn't enter config mode.  If you are only testing SNMP credentials, it doesn't even telnet or SSH to the device.  However, RME DOES make a config change.  As I said, it performs an SNMP SET on sysLocation.  This action constitutes a configuration change.  However, the "change" is simply to set the value of sysLocation to its current value.  If the device accepts this change, then RME knows the SNMP read-write credential is a good one.

If CW doesnt enter the config mode then how come I get this message "%SYS-5-CONFIG_I:" after i performed snmp credential verification?

RME is making a config change.  The SYS-5-CONFIG_I message doesn't necessarily mean that some one entered config t mode.  All it means is that the running configuration has been changed.  You will note that the configuration was changed by "snmp".  This means that an SNMP SET was performed which changed the configuration in some way.  In this particular case, RME changed the value of sysLocation (i.e. snmp-server location). However, the new value will be the same as the previous value.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: