cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will IOS version C2600 run on all 2600 variants

Yermander
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to run C2600xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.bin on any type of 2600 router provided there is enough space in flash to hold the image and there is enough DRAM to run it? That is to say is it possible for me to run a version of IOS I am running without a problem on a 2611XM on a 2612 if there is enough flash space on the 2612 and enough DRAM to store/run it??

I can't find any official documentation to support this

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 2612 was discontinued a good while before the 2611XM so there's no guarantee that software developed and released after the last 2612 release would load and run properly.

It looks like the last 2611XM release was 12.4(15)T from August 2010 while the last 2612 release was 12.2(26c) from August 2007.

I always check on the software download pages:

2611XM

Hi Marvin,

I'm a noob so excuse anything I say that might sound a bit silly, thanks for the response. My problem is I have a number of 2612's in my estate running IOS 12.3, this IOS version has been flagged by our vulnerability scanner because it is obsolete and out of support, I notice the last version released for 2612's c2600-a3jk8s-mz.122-26c.bin is listed within the cisco feature navigator as GD (general deployment)  in it's cisco lifecycle, does general deployment mean that is still in support as well as being deemed as safe enough and bug free to roll out anywhwere?

This to me seems strange only because I am guessing by the numbers used in the IOS versions name suggest the sequence in which they were released, it seems to me that 12.2 versions of IOS were released before 12.3 versions? How can a 12.3 version be out of support before a 12.2 or are both out of support? How can I tell which version is in or out of support and how could I tell an IOS version that will run 2612's that is in support?

Thanks so much for any help!

Yermander
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Marvin,

I'm a noob so excuse anything I say that might sound a bit silly, thanks for the response. My problem is I have a number of 2612's in my estate running IOS 12.3, this IOS version has been flagged by our vulnerability scanner because it is obsolete and out of support, I notice the last version released for 2612's c2600-a3jk8s-mz.122-26c.bin is listed within the cisco feature navigator as GD (general deployment)  in it's cisco lifecycle, does general deployment mean that is still in support as well as being deemed as safe enough and bug free to roll out anywhwere?

This to me seems strange only because I am guessing by the numbers used in the IOS versions name suggest the sequence in which they were released, it seems to me that 12.2 versions of IOS were released before 12.3 versions? How can a 12.3 version be out of support before a 12.2 or are both out of support? How can I tell which version is in or out of support and how could I tell an IOS version that will run 2612's that is in support?

Thanks so much for any help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: