Views
Helpful
Replies

Windoes NTP Client --> Cisco NTP Server

rico_hao40
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to synchronize my windows servers time to a Cisco 6500 (NTP server), can anybody recommend a stable free NTP client? i tried some but not work very well.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

You can try "build-in" ntp client

from windows cmd run

net time /setsntp:NTP server IP

and then restart ntp service

net stop w32time

net start w32time

you can verify

net time /querysntp

M.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If Windows Server is not a Domain Controller (Windows XP or Vista), you can just click the clock in the Taskbar (right-hand corner) and select the Internet Time tab and change the default setting of time.windows.com to point to your Cisco 6500 IP address.

If the server is a Domain Controller, follow this step http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Configuring-Windows-Time-Service.html

Regards,

Dandy

Thanks.

Another questions is how to modify the synchronize period, I notice the default setting is one week for the next synchronize time, i want to set to once a day.

Windows 2003

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Select the poll interval. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient\SpecialPollInterval

b. In the right pane, right-click SpecialPollInterval, and then click Modify.

c. In Edit DWORD Value, type TimeInSeconds in the Value data box, and then click OK.

Note TimeInSeconds is a placeholder for the number of seconds that you want between each poll. A recommended value is 900 Decimal. This value configures the Time Server to poll every 15 minutes.

3. Quit Registry Editor.

4. At the command prompt, type the following command to restart the Windows Time service, and then press ENTER:

net stop w32time && net start w32time

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: