Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless user tracking issue

mkareemashraf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello sir,

We are using cisco works LMS 3.0 in our network.

In our network we have access point 1130 Object ID : 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.618 , Cisco IOS Software, C1130 Software (C1130-K9W7-M), Version12.3(8)JA2.

In campus Manager, user tracking we are unable to trace the wireless clients who are connected to these wireless access points.

In report generator I have selected wireless report option with wireless end hosts but it is displaying the error no wireless end host found.

In user tracking acquisition portal it displaying all end host Mac address accept wireless clients.

For your clarification, snmp community string is configured correctly and we are able to view wireless access point in cisco view and campus manager topology.

We are having problem only in user tracking.

What we have to do in order to solve this issue.

Thank you,

With regards,

kareem

31 Replies 31

This looks fine. Therefore, I suspect an issue with Data Collection. Run a new Campus Data Collection followed by a new User Tracking acquisition. If the problem persists, post the ani.log.

Edit: looks like you'll need to enable a little extra debugging before running the Data Collection. Go to Campus Manager > Admin > Debugging Options > Data Collection, and enable debugging for devices.AccessPoint. then run your Data Collection.

Thanks for your support to solve our problem.

As per your reply, we have succesfully completed the requirement to get the Ani log file of acces point.

I am attaching the Anilog file.Please review the log file and guide us to solve this issue.

thanks,

I don't see the error I was expecting to see which may be a good thing. I assume that you tried a User Tracking acquisition after running this Data Collection, and still did not see any wireless users. If so, I recommend you open a TAC service request at this point. I do not have any APs on hand that I can easily test this, and some more debugging will be required to find out why the device domain is not being properly obtained.

Thanks a lot for your support.

we ran evaluation version and will buy the license soon (so we have no TAC for this software)

Once again Thanks for your support.

Hello sir,

Presently we cannot open TAC case with cisco.

In order to solve our problem,if you need any more information about our network we can provide you.

IF this problem is solve,many of our major issues will be solved.

your support will be appreciated.

regards,

kareem

I was able to set this up, and found that there is a bug. I can produce a patch, but you will need to open a TAC service request to get it.

Thanks for your support.please can u provide us the BUG-ID or this BUG will be fixed in next released of ciscoworks lms 3.1 as we will directly purchase this version.

The bug ID is CSCsq72800, but due to the fact that LMS 3.1 is almost done, the bug will not be fixed in that release. It should be fixed in the Campus Manager service pack to follow 3.1, however.

Thanks for your support.

sir,we have updated campus manager with latest 5.0.4 version.

After updation we didn't get the wireless clients and ip phones hostnames & IP address.We are only getting their mac- address.

sir ,plese help me .since this bug CSCsq72800 is cleared in 5.0.4 version but problem still persists.

thanks,

mohammed

Before AP acquisition will work, you must have APs configured for multiple VLANs, the property APRunCollection must be set to either true or be missing from ut.properties, and you will need to run a new Campus Data Collection after upgrading to CM 5.0.4 before UT will find end hosts. Verify all of this is correct.

Dear Jclarke,

The property APRuncollection is missing . After running campus manager data collection and user tracking many times we only got the mac address of wireless users.

the hostname/Ip is not dispalyed.

we are using these devices :

Wireless AP Model: AIR-AP1131AG-A-K9

Wireless AP Version: 123-8.JA2 (C1130-K9W7-M)

For IP Phones:

Floor Switch Model: Cat3560G48PS

Floor Switch Version: 12.2(35)SE5 (IP Base)

Regarding multiple vlan and user tracking screen shot, i am attaching file for your information

Username=We are not running the Active Directory Script, is that required?

Reverse Zones (PTR) are configured for the Wireless users' pool.

plese help us to get user names and ip address of clients.

thanks

mohammed

Dear Jclarke,

The property APRuncollection is missing . After running campus manager data collection and user tracking many times we only got the mac address of wireless users.

the hostname/Ip is not dispalyed.

we are using these devices :

Wireless AP Model: AIR-AP1131AG-A-K9

Wireless AP Version: 123-8.JA2 (C1130-K9W7-M)

For IP Phones:

Floor Switch Model: Cat3560G48PS

Floor Switch Version: 12.2(35)SE5 (IP Base)

Regarding multiple vlan and user tracking screen shot, i am attaching file for your information

Username=We are not running the Active Directory Script, is that required?

Reverse Zones (PTR) are configured for the Wireless users' pool.

Note: In access point we are geting hostname ,ip and mac-address of users.

plese help us to get user names and ip address of clients.

thanks

mohammed

My code is working, then. All it ensures is that the MACs will be found. From there, the standard set of rules apply for getting IP addresses and hostnames. You must have a router which has these MACs in its ARP cache properly Data Collected by Campus Manager. The router must be showing up with a green router icon on the Topology map.

Once the IP is obtained from the ARP cache, then UT will use the DNS PTR records to get the hostname.

For the username, you will need to be using the UTLite program on your end hosts to feed the username data to User Tracking.

Thanks for your help.

It seems we are stuck again back to the FWSM arp cache issue:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&topicID=.ee71a02&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc09f77

Is it possible to convert the 'show arp' output on the FWSM to 'static' arp entries on a router and then add this dummy router in CiscoWorks? Since FWSM has multiple subnets, the adding router + increasing mac-learning timeout option will not be feasible for us.

Regards

Farrukh

Hello Mr. JClarke

I see that the FWSM supports gathering the 'show arp' output using SNMP mibs, is there any chance that Cisco would add user tracking support for the FWSM in the near future based on this?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm40/configuration/guide/monitr_f.html#wp1103902

"IP-MIB

The FWSM supports browsing of the following table: ipNetToPhysicalTable

The following examples show how entries displayed through the show arp command can be retrieved through SNMP operations.

"

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: