cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C2960S-48TS-L showing as unsupported device in CNA 5.5

brucemather
Level 1
Level 1

I have set up a new switch, I can connect to it thru a web browser or telnet to it thru the network, but when I try to connect to it thru CNA 5.5 I can connect without a problem but it shows up as an unsupported device and I can't do any configurations to it.  I am able to configure other 2950, 2960, and 3560 devices without an issue but this is the first 2960s model I have worked with.  Is there an issue between CNA and this model that needs to be addressed?  The 2960s is running the latest IOS.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Please refer to the CNA Release Notes at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_network_assistant/version5_0/release/notes/OL12210a.html .

Specifically, under "New Features" (for Release 5.5, November 2009) you should see the line "Catalyst 2960 switches (WS-C2960-48PST-S, WS-C2960-24PC-S, WS-C2960-24LC-S, and WS-C2960-48PST-L)". Absence of any reference to the 2960S models implies that they are not supported on the current CNA release.

Cisco management products are pretty tightly integrated with both the device's capabilities and typically rely on a given model's unique SNMP OID to tailor the management product's presentation and manipulation of the target device. New products will almost always lag in their support on the network management platforms.

CNA is typically updated once or twice a year, so 5.5 is about due for an update by that timetable. (Not any inside information about a new release here, just an observation and educated guess.)

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

brucemather
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone from Cisco ever come on here and answer any questions, what is the sense of pages like this if they are just ignored.  Had their documentation actually answered any questions then they would not need to be posted on here.

Bruce were you able to resolve this problem? I am having the same exact problem, cant figure it out!

Hey Donna, no, have not heard a thing, seems like Cisco does not like answering any questions posted on here, makes wonder why they bother to

have this site up.  I am guessing CNA 5.5 does not support this device, or any device that has come out in the last little while and that the next version of CNA will add support to any of their newer devices.  Of course, when that version comes out is unknown, seems like a simple answer would put all this to rest.

seems like Cisco does not like answering any questions posted on here

Firstly, there are two types of people who posts here.  They are people with issues/problems and those who can provide solutions.  Now these people who provide solutions do not necessarily work for Cisco (just want to point it out).  Cisco created this website to allow the sharing of informations and solutions for those who don't have, for instance, a Cisco TAC access.  Unfortunately not everyone is an expert in every field (like me).

The Cisco 2960S is a fairly new product (released on April or May 2010, if I recall).  However, if you look at the age of the latest version of Cisco Network Assistant (CNA), version 5.5, was released waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back September 2009.   This is like, in my humble opinion, using Office 2010 on a Windows 98 OS.

Another thing is that not all of us are avid users of CNA.  We are "old school" and use the CLI to configure Cisco appliance as it's more robust and offers a helluvalot functionalities and features.

If contact your authorized Cisco reseller or Cisco SE, you can ask them when the next release for CNA will be.

This post is not meant to offend, criticize and/or insult anyone here.  It's not meant to be demeaning, offensive or condescending.  This post is just a personal opinion.

Hope this helps.

Leolaohoo - thanx for the update but I am not sure you are providing any information we do not already know or really, helping anyones cause in any way.  I realize this is a sharing information type site, but when I scan most of the answers, at least the few I do see, they are being answered by Cisco, at least they have a little Cisco logo under their username so I am assuming this, and my question could easily be answered in a line or 2 by someone who actually knows the answer.  We all also realize this is a new product and CNA 5.5 is not, and your comment about running 2010 on Windows 98 is why even Microsoft knows to release newer OS's so we can run 2010, hint hint Cisco.  And of course CNA is not as robust as CLI, but it is a great tool that allows one to manipulate the switch without having to memorize exact CLI script and seeing as Cisco touts the product on here I would think they would keep it up to date with any new products they release.

This post is not meant to offend, criticize and/or insult anyone here.  It's not meant to be demeaning, offensive or condescending.  This post is just a personal opinion.

Please refer to the CNA Release Notes at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_network_assistant/version5_0/release/notes/OL12210a.html .

Specifically, under "New Features" (for Release 5.5, November 2009) you should see the line "Catalyst 2960 switches (WS-C2960-48PST-S, WS-C2960-24PC-S, WS-C2960-24LC-S, and WS-C2960-48PST-L)". Absence of any reference to the 2960S models implies that they are not supported on the current CNA release.

Cisco management products are pretty tightly integrated with both the device's capabilities and typically rely on a given model's unique SNMP OID to tailor the management product's presentation and manipulation of the target device. New products will almost always lag in their support on the network management platforms.

CNA is typically updated once or twice a year, so 5.5 is about due for an update by that timetable. (Not any inside information about a new release here, just an observation and educated guess.)

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful posts.

Thank you so much for this answer, it is greatly appreciated, hopefully the new release is out in the next couple of months.

Looks like Cisco continues to drag its tail on a CNA upgrade, well done.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: