Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CFO

We have a small business network with 16 desktop workstations, dedicated fax machine, a Dell PowerEdge R320 server and a Dell PowerConnect 2848 switch. All the network equipment sets behind a Cisco ASA 5505.

AT&T is our ISP and we have the fastest DSL they offer for our area at 10mb down and 1mb up.

We recently installed Yealink VOiP phones with Vonage as the provider. We have not yet ported our AT&T phone numbers (5) over yet.

The VOiP phones work well most of the time but occasionally run into issues with network/Internet congestion. As a law firm that is unacceptable.

AT&T has installed a 2nd DSL line for us.

MY question is what is the best way to connect this 2nd DSL line to our current network to improve internet access?

I’m not trying to bond the lines just install a router with load balancing capabilities.

Will plugging the 2 DSL modem connections into a router with load balancing capabilities such as the Cisco Small Business RV325-K9-NA Dual Gigabit WAN VPN Routers then connecting it to the Cisco ASA 5505 work?

Or will the ASA 5505 have to be replaced?

What is the best configuration option for less than $1,500?

2 REPLIES
VIP Purple

You could route all the VoIP

You could route all the VoIP calls to Vonage over the new DSL circuit and dedicate it to that one purpose.  That would give you great predictability.

That is an option I've

That is an option I've considered but how do I accomplish that with our current network?

The ASA 5505 can accommodate another WAN connection but I've been told by our IT vendor  it is only used as a failsafe and that there is no way to route network traffic to the 2nd DSL with it. They are basically telling me it will have to be replaced.

The best solution I have found is offered by peplink. Their Balance One Core is a link balancer and firewall plus you can connect a 4G modem via USB to use as a failsafe. 600Mb throughput and supports 60 users/devices. It cost $500 comes with 1 year warranty and support then $79/year thereafter. The Balance 210 model supports up to 150 users/devices has a few more features including inbound load balancing but the biggest addition is it offers bonding which would combine the two lines into a 20/2. It cost $1,400 and the bonding service is $900/year.

The problem is we have an managed network and the only option our IT provider is offering is a Barracuda Link Balancer 230 150Mb through put that cost $1,500 plus annual support is $239/year.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content