Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

Purchase or lease?

My question is quick and simple: purchase or lease? We have equipment that is going to be end of life soon and we need to purchase a bunch of gear. Seems like leasing is becoming more and more popular of a option.

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Purchase or lease?

This is a great question. With technologies changing fast and furious leasing seems like a great option. Remember that if you least you have to replace all of the equipment at the end of the lease, so you also need to figure in the cost of downtime and man hours to uninstall and reinstall the new stuff. Plus your IT staff needs to learn the personality of the new gear in your environment.

Purchasing is always good because you own it until your are done with it. Most network gear least around 5-7 years and then you can start writing off the gear cost on your taxes as well. (So I have heard, As they say on Star Trek, "Darn it Jim, I am a engineer not a accountant")

Personally, I like purchasing better. That gives me time to roll off the gear in stages and implement new stuff slowly, then you can sell it on eBay to support your up and coming engineers. How cool is that! A community service action!! that has to make you sleep better at night!!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content