Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup aborted - Configuration Backup Failes

Over the past couple of days, I've started getting the Error "Backup aborted - Configuration backup failed" on 3560/2960 switches and 2900/2800 routers.  Pretty much everything at my primary site and a few devices, but not all, at some of my clients.  What's odd to me is that the devices with the backup failures now have a greyed out "Backup Now" button.  Again that doesn't apply to all, but most devices.

Shawn Eftink
CCNA/CCDA

Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.       

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.
5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Shawn,

We're looking into the issue from this side. An early theory is that the ON100's /tmp filesystem (ramdisk) may be filled due to a known bug in the security reports daemon on the ON100. Can you please try rebooting an ON100 of one of your customers that is exhibiting the issue, and then try to run the Backup Now function?  I'd ask that you not reboot the ON100 at your office, as we may need your help with that unit to further debug the issue.

Thanks!

-mike

Michael,

I rebooted a client site device.  The switch that failed backup, a 2960, still has a greyed out Backup Now button, so I still can't initiate another backup request.  I have not rebooted my local ON100, per your request.

Shawn Eftink
CCNA/CCDA

Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.
Cisco Employee

Hi Shawn,

We saw this same behavior this morning with a test ON100 in the lab. The ON100 may need to run through it's normal scheduled nightly maintenance window before the driver tries the backup and then subseqeuntly enables the Backup Now button within the portal. Please take a look at this customer again on Monday and let us know if the backup succeeded, and if the Backup Now button becomes available again. We are looking into what it will take to issue a fix, as a contingency plan, or until a fix can be deployed, we are looking into controlled periodic monthly reboots of all ON100 which might mitigate issue by clearing the /tmp ramdisk on the devices.

-mike

Mike,

Just an update.  I'm still seeing some greyed out "Backup Now" buttons on pretty much the same devices as before, but it looks like backups started working again as of about 10/26.

Shawn Eftink
CCNA/CCDA

Cisco Employee

Hi Shawn, apologies for the delay in response here. Can you please email me (mikhollo [at] cisco) the name of the customer and the MAC address of one of the devices you are seeing the grayed out Backup Now button for, and we'll take a look to see what could be off the rails here. The fact that rebooting the ON100 restored the nightly backups pretty much confirms our suspicion that the ON100's /tmp ramdisk filesystem had filled. But the Backup Now button's availability within the portal is controlled by a capabilities list for the device's SKU, so we need to look directly at the problem device's data to see what the flash movie is interpreting from it.

-mike

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content