Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Backup aborted - Unable to receive file 'startup-config'

I'm seeing this on some 2950s and an old 2924 that I have.  Is this issue related to the age of the switches?  It's picking up drivers and successfully testing credentials.  So I'm just checking.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.
29 REPLIES
mrn Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI,

The 2900 is using the standard IOS driver to do configuraton backup.

We do a backup by sending a command to copy startup-config to an http URL on the OnPlus appliance.

I isuspect that these older devices are having trouble with the copy command.

On some of these switches, I've seen them fail because they don't have a startup-config file. I am not entirely clear on why this is, but some IOS loads don't create one automatically.

You shold be able to test this by just trying to execute a command like this on the device:

copy startup-config http://whatever

I think it will fail immediately if startup-config does not exist.

If this turns out to be the problem, we can tune-up the code so that we issue an event describing the problem more accurately, along with a work-around. (The workaround is: copy running-config startup-config.)

- Mark

It doesn't appear to be the lack of a startup-config file.  I checked the 3 affected devices.  The issue is possible destinations.  There is no option in the IOS running on these devices to set the destination as "http:"  See the output below for copy startup-config ?

flash:          Copy to flash: file system

ftp:            Copy to ftp: file system

null:           Copy to null: file system

nvram:          Copy to nvram: file system

rcp:            Copy to rcp: file system

running-config  Update (merge with) current system configuration

startup-config  Copy to startup configuration

system:         Copy to system: file system

tftp:           Copy to tftp: file system

As much as I would say this wouldn't be a Cisco OnPlus priority, one possible coding workaround might be a lightweight tftp server running on the OnPlus device and a modification of the code to attempt http: first and on failure to startup the tftp server and attempt to use that method and then shut the tftp server back down, for security reasons.  Just a thought.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.
mrn Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In our current build we only support http copy for backup and restore.

When a device doesn't support http copy, we are supposed to make note of it and disable those tabs in the device dialog. You can see the settings in the managemen_capabilitis item in the info list. Your catalyst switches should say:

backup=0,restore=0,firmware=0

I'm guessing they probably don't, which means our check for http copy is not working properly.

Two things here:

1) I need to fix this bug - we should properly detect this.

2) We are going to add support for tftp file transfers, which will really fix your problem. This is not a committed feature, it is being handled as a bug fix right now, but if all goes well it will be in 7.1.

- Mark

I see the following

management_capabilities     OnPlus supported capabilities     ,,

It is the same on all 3 devices

mrn Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's strange - it means the driver is properly detecting the fact that you don't have HTTP copy.

Given that, you shouldn't be given the option to backup. Do you have a backup tab on the device dialog? And does it have the button allowing you to request an immediate backup?

- Mark

Nope.  There is no backup tab.  So now it's weird that we're getting the errors at all.

mrn Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are they occuring during your maintenance time? Same time every night?

- Mark

mrn Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It looks like our maintenance routine doesn't check to see if backup is allowed - it just charges right in and attempts it, which it shouldn't do. So that's where the problem is.

We will have that fixed in 7.1.

- Mark

Re: Backup aborted - Unable to receive file 'startup-config'

We are receiving the same problem, as well, on a Cisco SG 300-52 Switch.

I get the following email every morning.

Customer Name Blue*****************

Error Event Device: Configuration backup
Event Date/Time 2012-04-05 00:33
Device Hostname: Cisco 52 Port Switch
IP Address: 192.168.88.82
MAC Address: A0:CF:5B:ED:01:87

Backup aborted - TFTP from device failed

The switch has credentials for login and SNMP loaded into OnPlus.

On a second note, OnPlus does not seem to discover the topology from this switch; and confuses that with devices connected to switches that are connected to this switch. Is that normal? Could that be a configuration issue on our end in the switch, which is not letting the OnPlus detect the network topology from the switch?

We can lay out the network manually, but the whole point of this device for us is to have it discoverthe topology of a client's network, and map that for us. That way, when we get alerts, we can do something about them.

I'm now seeing this issue on an 877 router.  It was working previously, shows two other backup files under the backup tab, and just stopped working on 10/30/2012.  I checked the router and there is still a startup-config file in NVRAM so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Bronze

Hi Sdeftink,

I'm not sure what could be causing that issue. I'll look into this with the team and get back to you. Could you send me an e-mail or PM with the site name?

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

Just sent you a private message with the site name.

Bronze

We are still looking into this. When was the last time this device was upgraded? Did the backups work after the upgrade?

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

I checked with my team and the IOS has not been updated in the past couple of months.  Since the backups stopped working on 10/30/2012, it has been working since the last IOS update which was about 6+ months ago.

I have been having this one several devices as well... has there been any forward motion to fix this?

Thanks!

Bronze

Hi Chris,

We haven't been able to reproduce it, could you list what devices you are seeing the issue on? I'd like to test those also.

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

At this time it's only on the 877 referenced.

871 and 2811

Bronze

Thanks guys, we will test and get back to you all.

Bronze

Could you also provide the current load each device is on?

Is that current firmware versions you are looking for?

Bronze

Yes, sorry.

12.4(24)T7

Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(4)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.1(3)T3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(24)T3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Bronze

Update: We are able to reproduce this error message. We are looking at how to resolve it now.

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

Bronze

Could both of you PM me the site where this is occurring and permission to pull logs from the site?

Sdeftink - I already have your site, just need permission.

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

You have my permission.

Site begins with 'W' and you have my permission.

Bronze

Thanks guys!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content