Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Devices without a user name

I am working with a client that only uses enable passwords on their gear.  I've been leaving the username blank and putting their enable password into the password field and also into the enable password field. Is this the proper procedure?   The OnPlus will find some devices, then half of the network will show up missing, then a while later it will come back.  Currently, most of the network shows as missing.    All switches are Catalst 2950 and 3560.

4 REPLIES

When you're saying enable password only, do you mean it doesn't even prompt for a username when you SSH/Telnet in or do you mean you enter the username, password, and it goes directly to enable mode?  We have setups that are similar but all require username and enable passwords.  In OnPlus, we enter the username and enable password on the "Password" tab and don't enter any information in the "Enable" tab.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

No username or password are required to telnet in to the devices.  Only the enable password is needed to then enter into enable mode.

I would recommend entering the password on the Password tab, leave the username blank, and not enter anything on the Enable tab.  Odds are it works with the password then fails the enable then works again with the password and fails the enable causing everything to work, then fail, then work, etc.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I am having a terrible problem.

In my router, I set the command for example "username abc password 0 def".

Then usually, when I tried to login the router, the username and password requiremnt is prompted up.

However, I set another command in the config mode "no username"

I thought that it will not ask me any username and password to login to the router.

But, it is still asking me and the terrible thing is that the previous username and password is not working anymore. I cant login to the router.

I would really appreciate it if you can give me any hints.

Views
Helpful
Replies