cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Email Notifications

Guys,

I am having some real issues here since the upgrade with the alerts.  Guys, do you want me to send this to support, or can you send it up the tree?

1) Timezone issues (might just be Saskatchewan)

2) Not receiving messages either when the problem starts or when the problem has been cleared

3) Receiving messages that the problem is fixed, then receiving the message that the problem exists (ie out of order receipts)

4) What would be nice... receiving a summary email (each day?) with issues that are not resolved.

The first 3 are needing to get fixed like asap... the 4th... like I said, might be nice to see.

Thanks!

Everyone's tags (2)
5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Email Notifications

Hi Chris,

This support community is a good place to post bugs when you encounter them, these forums are monitored by folks in all of the OnPlus teams, internal defect tracking numbers get assigned whenever problems are reported here.

1) Timezone issues (might just be Saskatchewan)

Can you share more details with what you are seeing here? Is the customer set to Saskatchewan timezone under their individual customer Profile?

2) Not receiving messages either when the problem starts or when the problem has been cleared

This usually means that you don't have a matching Notification Rule configured to send an email (or SMS message) on the specfic Event conditions. By default, OnPlus adds a notification rule to send anything of 'WARNING' or higher severity to your email address, but these Notification Rules can be deleted or modified. Do you have an example of a particular event that you expected to receive a Notification for when it happened and didn't?

3) Receiving messages that the problem is fixed, then receiving the message that the problem exists (ie out of order receipts)

Can you check the times of the events as recorded on the Portal, and verify that they are being recorded out-of-order? Notification delivery depends on transports such as SMTP or SMS that don't guarantee immediate delivery (they can be queued on mail hosts and on SMS gateways), this could possibly affect the order in which notifications sent by the Portal are received on your end.

Also under some circumstances, such as if the ON100 loses WAN connectivity, events will get queued up on the local ON100 agent and then delievered to the Portal at a later time (once WAN connectivity is restored). This could cause some interesting cases where the ON100 notices that the connection is back up, and sends a 'RECOVERY' event to the Portal, and then the 'PROBLEM' event that precededed it gets de-queued from the ON100 at a slightly later time. This could also have the effect of causing out-of-order delivery of Notifications. I'm not sure how we might do a better job here, but if you have any suggestions, please let us know!

4) What would be nice... receiving a summary email (each day?) with issues that are not resolved.

This sounds like a request for a new type of report (Problems with no matching Recovery?) that could be run manually or scheduled to be generated daily/weekly/monthly, and delivered via a Notification similar to other existing reports. Thanks for the suggestion!

-mike

Community Member

Michael,

Here is a sample of the timezone issue.

You can see the event date/time, versus the info in the bottom, which lists the actual date and time.

Community Member

Item 2 - I recently cleaned out all the messages... I will wait until it happens again, and give you the actual report.

Item 3 - I understand how SMTP works, and that it isn't 'instant'.  But really, who thinks email is not instant?

So if you go in my account, under PCS - HO, and the machine: PCS-EXCH, you will see that at 8:25:[33|39] there were two events hit.  But these events were from 8:17 and 8:22.  If it loses wan connectivity should we not get a message indicating that? Where is the delay happening?

Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

Regarding the differing times in the picture above, I suspect that both timestamps are trying to indicate the same time, but are applying differing timezones. The top timestamp, the 'Event Date/Time', is likely being reported in your (the notification recipient) timezone, admittedly without using a proper ISO-8601 format which would indicate the UTC offset. I continue to report this bug to the developers. The bottom timestamp in the descriptive text comes from the ON100 agent's monitor itself, whose clock is set to the timezone selected for the customer (America/Regina in this case).

On your item 3, it appears that the ON100 recorded an event at 2012-04-30 8:17:36 -0600 , but didn't successfully deliver it to the portal until 2012-04-30 8:25:?? -0600. This is repeated for other events from this site as you mentioned. There were no intervening WAN outage events detected in between, so I can't easily explain the delay. I think our test team will need to take a look at the agent-portal event mechanism and see if they can replicate this when under a greater than 1 per minute load of events being sent to the portal from an agent device.

-mike

Community Member

Michael,

Thanks for the reply.

As a quick update, from our other site emails are also being delayed up to 10 minutes before it is being sent out from the portal.  As this is our office, I can assure you that we are having no connectivity issues as well.

Thanks!

Chris

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content