Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How do I look for a "cause" for a "Warning"?

Hello, I received an email notice for "Onplus Warning - OnPlus: Connection status".

How do I look for a cause for the "Disconnected: Unplanned Outage", "Site Comms down: 99.187.94.XXX"?

The OnPlus device is nice for keeping me up to date as to the status, but if I can not pinpoint a reason for an outage what good is it?

Please advise.  Thank you, Paul

Everyone's tags (2)
2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

The connection status monitor isn't really capable of determining the root cause of an outage, but can help you to track the duration of an outage (possibly for SLA purposes). This monitor alerts when the site device hasn't communicated with the portal for period of 90 seconds or longer (having tried every 30 seconds), and will record the time that the connection between device and portal again becomes available.

Unfortunately, the 'outage' could be that the WAN at the customer's site went down, or it could be due to a routing issue somewhere on the internet between the site and the portal. A future enhancement we're looking at could be correlating the device-to-portal outages with some other testing to show if it was the WAN connection that went down, or was more likely due to a routing issue between the customer site and the portal.

Currently, as a workaround, you could create a 'device' in the customer's topology of another host, possibly a host on the customer's ISP network and add a monitor for that host (maybe a DNS monitor watching an ISP's DNS host, or perhaps just a ICMP ping monitor against the first hop router on the ISP's side). In the event of an internet routing issue, that host monitor would continue to function, and when the device eventually reconnects to the portal, any outages to that host would be reported back to the portal. You could then tell by the absence of such events for the ISP host that the WAN was online during the event.

-mike

Hi Paul,

The message you received was due to the ON100 Network Agent losing it's connection to the OnPlus Service.  OnPlus does provide you with the ability to setup additional monitors on more devices to help narrow down and troubleshoot where there might be connectivity issues or network outages. 

One example would be to setup some host up/down monitors on the network infrastructure, so that you can get some more data on if there might have been an issue with any of the network infrastructure on premise of if it may have been something with the WAN connection.  In the network below, setting up monitors on the upstream switch can help narrow down if an issue may have been on the switch that the ON100 Network Agent is connecting into or if the WAN on the upstream router may have gone down.  Furthermore, placing up/down monitors on the upstream router can also help narrow down if there is an issue with the path to the router or perhaps with it's WAN connectivity. 

To setup up monitors, click over to the monitor tab when you open up device screen as depicted below:

Click on "+" for additional monitors to add...

Ultimately, the summary of all monitors can be viewed in the events tab, and you can also get these placed into notifications based on the delivery rules that you have setup.

Hope this helps,

-Jimmy

Views
Helpful
Replies