Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

One Touch power cycle?

I don't see anywhere to do this, but I've been having to power cycle some AP541Ns that we have deployed pretty regularly.  They will be up and responsive for some clients, but for others - no DHCP or denying association.

Right now I have to open onplus, and login to each one, and drill down into the admin menu and reboot the device - then repeat.

I know we shouldn't have to power cycle these devices, but that is probably the number 1 thing that we do when we troubleshoot ("have you rebooted it?") across *any* device (cpu, switch, ap, telephony, etc)

It would be neat for us to be able to easily and directly power cycle these devices through the OnPlus interface.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

One Touch power cycle?

Hi Ben,

This is a nice suggestion, thank you!

So, are you envisioning a 'reboot' button on the device window, maybe even a right-click option (like how we luanch the device's GUI)? That's something we can ceartianly look into doing.

Thanks,

Efrat

One Touch power cycle?

In some of the other RMM tools, there is a generic scripting menu where you can launch a number of tasks (and restart/reboot is usually one of those many), but with a product focused on managing network devices, and with 9 times out of 10 unfortunately unplugging it and plugging it back in clears whatever issue we experience,

really in this case I'm thinking a simple, single function "power cycle" button would be a great start (definitely with an "are you sure" prompt).

If the device is totally unresponsive, then this wouldn't help, but again most of the time the devices are responsive but something isn't working right. 

Actually being able to select multiple devices and power cycle them would be even better (thinking about phones and APs that are clustered - we usually have to go around and power cycle all of them, or remote into their interfaces). Simple function but big time saver.

One Touch power cycle?

Hi Ben,

We've had some team discussions about the idea of being able to 'bounce' the PoE from the (Cisco) switch to cause the effect of the power cycle.The vision would be to have a button, menu item, on any device that we know to be powered by PoE on a switch, only when we have credentials for it. We figure that we'd need to validate that the device is actually drawing power from the port to ensure that it is effectively the only device on the port and that it isn't powered by A/C instead.

I think your comments might add some push to the idea. :-)

Robert

Views
Helpful
Replies