Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Onplus Service Monitor never sent email notification

I have a Cisco Onplus device monitoring an exchange server for ICMP HOST UP/Down and outgoing Mail service (SMTP).  On Sunday 7/8/12 at 11:20am the server locked up.  I see Critical alerts every 20 secs or so for 40 mins (maybe 130 alerts logged in total).... and then they stop...  I never received an email notification about the ICMP alert... and the critical alerts stopped logging even though the server was still down..  The only email I received was the ICMP  UP - once we rebooted the server.  Firmware version 34.47

5 REPLIES

can I open a TAC case for this?

Bronze

Hi John,

Has this issue occurred previously or since Sunday? The reason I ask is because OnPlus experienced some issues on Sunday right around the time you are reporting above, and that seems to be the cause here.

Please let us know if the issue does reoccur.

And yes, you can open a ticket for it.

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

Cisco Employee

Hi John,

The ON100 is meant to send a *single* notification when a monitored service becomes unavailable. It should never be sending duplicate down events for the same outage.

If I follow correctly, the monitored host went offline/crashed and the ON100 started sending 'ICMP DOWN' events for that server at a rate of one every 20 seconds or so to the portal, possibly until the partial routing outage occurred on Sunday. After that, the ON100 likely reconnected to the portal, but did not not send any further events about that outage (as should be the case), and when the server was restored, the ON100 detected this and sent a single 'UP' event.

We'll investigate on our end what may have caused the ON100 to send all of those ~130 events. That is most certainly a bug somewhere in OnPlus.

-mike

Mike - no the ON100 didnt send 130 events to me...  It logged 130 events under the device...  But we never received 1 down alert to email or SMS pager which is configured.  So the ON100 found the device going down....  but never alerted us about it.    Only once we rebooted the server did the system send us a UP message.  NEver a down messaged for ICMP down or for SMTP port being down.

If you need me to get you more info so you can look at the ON100 just tell me. 

Cisco Employee

Hi John,

We've managed to root-cause the problems. The ~130 events were delivered from the ON100 to the portal (this is why they appear in your event list), but delivery of the events to your email/sms (notifications) were impacted by the routing outage issue that occurred Sunday. During the outage, real-time event notifications being sent to email or sms targets were lost in most cases.

We've identified and have tested fixes for both the bug causing the duplicated events to be sent from the ON100 to the portal and also the bug which caused the loss of the real-time event notifications, and we'll be fixing both soon to prevent them from occuring again.

Thanks for your feedback, it helped us greatly in pin-pointing the problems!

-mike

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content