Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

RV220W and OnPlus device detection

I have an RV220W as my gateway and DHCP server. However when I look at my network map I see the RV220W detected twice, one as a Cisco device and the other as a D-Link device. I have tried reset, rebuild, rediscover my network and it still keep showing the RV220W in 2 places. It even show a different MAC in the info page than the RV220W's device name, what gives?

Alan.

9 REPLIES
Community Member

Hey Alan,

Sorry to see you're getting some double discovery on device there.  For the incorrect RV220W, do you know what device possesses the displayed MAC?  

We haven't officially tested the RV220W in OnPlus yet, but I will check back with the team on why we might be looking at some discovery issues with respect to generic device discovery here. 

I've copied the link the support device matrix below:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17501

-Jimmy

Community Member

Re: RV220W and OnPlus device detection

Dear Jimmy,

It is weird but the MAC shown does not belong to anything I have. As you

can see by the screenshot, the MAC is 00-0F-3D-55-B0-34. The actual MAC

for the D-Link unit is almost the same but the last digit is a 3 and not

a 4. Regardless the unit is no longer in the network so I'm not sure why

it's "seeing" this device....

Regards, Alan.

Community Member

Any updates, Jimmy?

Alan.

Community Member

Hi Alan,

Unfortunately, I don't have any updates yet on my end but will plan on getting some input to you early next week.  I'll PM you for some additional details I might need as well.

Thanks!

-Jimmy

Community Member

Re: RV220W and OnPlus device detection

Alan/Jimmy,

While I can't speak for D-Link, most network switch/router devices must use a unique MAC address for each VLAN/Interface present. Since some of those are virtual, the manufacturer only lists the 'base' MAC address on the bottom label for the device and then simply increment to get other, related MAC addresses. The ON100 looks for ARP associations of MAC to IP and it is quite likely that due to the port that the ON100 is ultimately connected to, we get one of the related MACs.

Without actually working on that device directly using a similar configuration, that is my educated guess on this one.

Robert

Community Member

Thank you for chiming in, Robert. The question still remains as to why OnPlus is detecting a device that is no longer in the network. It is also detecting the RV220W both as a Cisco device and a D-Link device..........

Alan.

Community Member

Sorry about that ... I missed the original one. I've alerted the two guys that can address that and they should have something for you directly.

Robert

Community Member

No problem Robert, I'm glad that I'm getting full support from the OnPlus team though!!

Alan.

Community Member

Hi Alan,

I sent you a private message offline to get some additional contact information.  I'd like to setup some time to chat with you to go over your scenario in a bit more detail.  Please feel free to let me know what is the best way to reach you, and i'll setup some time.

Thanks!

-Jimmy

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content