Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SNMP querying of Meraki devices

We have several Cisco Meraki devices are part of our network, and the ON100's querying of SNMP for these devices does not seem to work. Is there a way to have the ON100 query a Meraki MS24 as a generic switch, for example? Will support for Meraki's products be built into the OnPlus portal, since Cisco now owns Meraki?

13 REPLIES

Have you tried the Generic Managed Switch or Generic Managed Router drivers under the Credentials tab and Device Driver section?

In my opinion, based on the aquisition of Meraki being so recent, I wouldn't expect support any time soon.  That said, we have not yet started testing the Meraki products but my understanding is that it is primarily a cloud driven device management model.  Assuming that is the case, is there something you're needing OnPlus to do that the Meraki cloud management doesn't?

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

We use the OnPlus in part for network assessments, and querying switch and router SNMP helps us put together a logical network topology for a site we've never seen and a customer can't explain.

Are you using the full OnPlus functionality to do Network Assessments or just the Scanner portion?  I haven't used the Scanner portion yet but as I understand, it should be VERY flexible in network discovery, but it's static unlike OnPlus which is more dynamic based on CDP, Bonjour, etc.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

We're using the full OnPlus system, with an ON100 box onsite to perform the discovery.

Re: SNMP querying of Meraki devices

I'd strongly recommend trying the Scanner functionality to see that might better fit your needs. If it does, it's far easier to setup and discover the network.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I apologize, I didn't asnwer the first part of your post. Yes, we've tried the generic switch and router drivers and have the correct SNMP v2c query string. The result is, "Incorrect driver, or incorrect credentials".

Aaron,

I wanted to follow up with you to see if you were going to give the Scanner a try to see if it fits your needs.  If you do, would you mind giving me some feedback on the results, if you get to it before I do. 

As far as I know, the scanner can't do network topology because it doesn't retrieve SNMP data from devices, correct?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I actually thought that it did so I setup a Test client real quick and checked the Scanner and it appears you are correct.  I don't see anywhere to input a SNMP Community String.  I also read some of the documentation on it last night and it appears that it's pretty much centered around Cisco devices right now leveraging CDP enabled devices to discover and map the network up to 5 levels.  From what I've found thus far, 3rd party support is going to be in a future build of the product.  So you might be right that it just won't quite fit the bill for you yet.  But might be something to keep an eye on as Cisco develops it further.  Much easier than deploying an ON100 as you can just launch it from any system within the client's network that can run Java.

One of our clients is a school system with around 180 Meraki's.  The Meraki's appear to be web-i-fied so that the only way you can connect to their SNMP mib's is through Meraki's web portal.  i.e. you have to connect your SNMP scanner, management software to a location in the Meraki cloud. 

The last time I looked at this, which was a bit before Cisco purchased Meraki, there were instructions in the Meraki web portal for the devices.  If I remember correctly the SNMP may have been tunnelled over SSL and used non-default port numbers, which I don't believe OnPlus can connect to.

In either case, I got the distinct impression that the idea was you connect SNMP to the Meraki portal for your user account, and Meraki connected to its on-site access points in a non-disclosed, proprietary manner.

Meraki seems to have made some changes recently and you no longer have to query their web portal to get SNMP information. I can use snmpwalk from any machine and query the switch's IP address directly and get all the SNMP information. But for whatever reason, the ON100 seems unable to do the same.

I am glad to hear that you can now snmpwalk the devices directly, the last time I had taken a look at SNMP for Meraki was before they were purchased by Cisco, and only for access points.  Maybe that is one of the changes that have been made with some of the recent firmware updates (at least with the access points).

I was able to do a packet capture between the Meraki switch and the ON100. The ON100 is indeed querying the Meraki, and the Meraki is replying. So I'm guessing this is an incompatibility with the ON100's genreic switch driver and the Meraki switch's SNMP information. The ON100 gets data, but can't correctly interpret it, is my guess.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

Views
Helpful
Replies