Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VPN Monitoring

Hi Guys,

We have deployed a few of these, and one of them is at a site that has 2 other sites (via dmvpn).  Is there another way to monitor this other than via another device in the location?

What I was thinking was this was this:

Instead of doing a sweep poll to find out devices, getting the router to spit out the arp/mac address tables

Then maybe doing a longer poll cycle if we know it is on the other side of the vpn

I know that this would be easier for me at this site as we have 2 sites in Canada and one in Australia.

Thanks!

Everyone's tags (3)
3 REPLIES
Bronze

VPN Monitoring

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, at this time, the discovery process does require an additional On100 at each site. We have discussed internally how we could make this possible, and it is a work in progress.

Interesting thought on the arp/mac addresses from a router, I'll discuss that with our Engineering team.

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

VPN Monitoring

Just wanted to throw in that it is possible to manually add devices on the far side of the VPN (or anywhere else that is routable) and then set monitors on those manually created devices.  The page asks for MAC but the value can be left blank, you only need to provide an IP address.  The main advantage of adding the actual MAC is that if the device ever becomes automatically discovered, it will take overf the manually added element.

I fully understand this is not a perfect solution, it is awkward, it doesn't handle devices with DHCP addresses that might change, etc, but it might meet your immediate needs.

We already discover devices present in a supported local router's ARP table as long as the router exposes the table (we support a couple of routers that don't actually do this).  The problem is that the ARP table won't expose any devices beyond the next hop on the VPN.  To see those, we would have to reach into that remote device.

All possible, and I'll leave it to the product folks to prioritize.

On a related issue, has anybody encountered a need to add devices manually using a DNS hostname instead of an IP?  I know I have.  This would allow monitoring of services where the IP might change, and it would allow monitoring of dynamic DNS services themselves.

VPN Monitoring

Thanks Guys for the response...

One more thing if you do some more digging into options for this.  Another thing to think about for this is setting up the topology for it to show a 'virtual' link and start another tree from there.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content