Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Where's the backups?

The docs say I should be able to backup and 1800 ISR and ASA, but I do not see any backups tab anywhere. All the credentials are in for both devices correctly.

Where this tab?

Thanks,

Bob James                  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Where's the backups?

I can't speak about special characters in credentials, I believe that we've resolved some issues around using $ or other characters in the credentials in recent releases. There may still exist issues around particular devices. Hoping a developer with knowledge here can chime in.

Regarding the ASA and the status of the credentials not yet being being known, can you verify if this ASA was discovered by ON100, or if it was added manually? I believe we have a current bug where manually added devices do not get backed up or otherwise have their credentials tested.

-mike

Re: Where's the backups?

I'd recommend deleting it, since you manually added it, to get rid of the Generic IOS Router driver.  As well, please see this document:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17451

Ensure that CDP is enabled on that router, because it probably isn't.  Should just be logging in via SSH, enable, conf t, cdp enable, wr mem.

Then run another discovery.  OnPlus should find the router on it's own and pick it up as a Cisco device.  You may have to enter your credentials again but when you select the Driver tab, it should say "A Driver has been discovered for this device, and is in use" instead of giving you a drop down to select a driver.

On the cdp enable, I missed a step.  You'll also need to go into the interface used on your local LAN before running the cdp enable command.  An example is below.

SSH x.x.x.x

password *********

router >  enable

password *********

router #  configure terminal

router (config) #  interface fastethernet0/1

router (config-subif) #  cdp enable

router (config-subif) #  exit

router (config) # exit

router #  write memory

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.
17 REPLIES

Where's the backups?

When you say that the credentials are in for both devices correctly, when you look at the credentials tab does it say "Credentials worked at last attempt" or "Credentials status not yet known"?  I have an ASA 5510 here and it's backing up just fine.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

Where's the backups?

Thanks for responding.

Credentials not yet known.

They are the right creds, but is there a way to force the system to login to the ASA?

Thanks

Bob James

Where's the backups?

Go into Credentials and then select the "Drivers" sub tab.  In the drop down there should be a driver for the Cisco ASA 5500 series.  Select that, hit ok, and give it some time to update.  That should take care of it.

Where's the backups?

As another note, if that doesn't fix it take a look at the complexity of your password.  I'm not sure if they resolved it yet or not but I know previously there were issues with passwords that contained special characters.  Try to keep them alpha numberic with a combination of upper and lower case.  As well, I probably wouldn't have a passwords over 12-14 characters, but again that is all going off of memory from some challenges I had about 8-10 months ago.

Where's the backups?

Thanks,

Strange I had to tell it what device it was. I  did find the issue; it appears it has to be able to ping the device. I had restrictions on the ASA for which device could ping it. Once I enabled the ping from the OnPlus I was able to see it and back it up.

I found other devices as well that should be supported according to the list, but there is no driver for them. Example 1800 ISR's.

I tried generic router so we'll see.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob James

Where's the backups?

Happy to assist.  If you wouldn't mind rating my answer and select it as the correct answer, if you feel it is, I would truly appreciate it.

Cisco Employee

Where's the backups?

I can't speak about special characters in credentials, I believe that we've resolved some issues around using $ or other characters in the credentials in recent releases. There may still exist issues around particular devices. Hoping a developer with knowledge here can chime in.

Regarding the ASA and the status of the credentials not yet being being known, can you verify if this ASA was discovered by ON100, or if it was added manually? I believe we have a current bug where manually added devices do not get backed up or otherwise have their credentials tested.

-mike

Where's the backups?

It was manually added as I'm sure it was not seen in the initial ping sweep.

I will give it a few and see if I can back it up. Is there anyway to forace a poll of the device>?

Thanks

Where's the backups?

You can't trigger a poll on a specific device.  However you can select the Lightening Bolt, Misc. Actions, and Trigger Discovery to tell it to start another Discovery on the network as a whole.

Where's the backups?

It was the manualy added thing. I'm not sure why the OnPlus unit didn't see it, but I deleted it and ran a rescan and it didn't see it again so I manually added it back.

It does not have a backup tab still.

Oh well.

Bob James

Where's the backups?

I'm assuming we're now just talking about the 1800 ISR correct?  Some questions:

1)  Is the 1800 ISR on the same subnet as OnPlus?

a) If yes, can OnPlus ping it?

i) Tool Box icon --> Ping

b) If no, is CDP allowed on all your switches and to the port the OnPlus is plugged into?

2)  Is this a border router on the outside of the ASA?

a) If yes, is it directly connected to the ASA or connected through a switch?

Where's the backups?

It's on the same subnet, it's actually the seed router used to find everything else. Pingable, proper creds put in still nothing. Now I've chosen Generic IOS Router and I cannot remove that to out in SNMP Router to poll it.

It doesn't seem like SNMP or the credentials work

I'd recommend deleting it, since you manually added it, to get rid of the Generic IOS Router driver.  As well, please see this document:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17451

Ensure that CDP is enabled on that router, because it probably isn't.  Should just be logging in via SSH, enable, conf t, cdp enable, wr mem.

Then run another discovery.  OnPlus should find the router on it's own and pick it up as a Cisco device.  You may have to enter your credentials again but when you select the Driver tab, it should say "A Driver has been discovered for this device, and is in use" instead of giving you a drop down to select a driver.

On the cdp enable, I missed a step.  You'll also need to go into the interface used on your local LAN before running the cdp enable command.  An example is below.

SSH x.x.x.x

password *********

router >  enable

password *********

router #  configure terminal

router (config) #  interface fastethernet0/1

router (config-subif) #  cdp enable

router (config-subif) #  exit

router (config) # exit

router #  write memory

You got it; it was good old old CDP (Can't beleive it's still around). I enabled it but it took forever to re-see the device. Interesting thing though, because I added the device driver there was no way to delete the router (Enhancement please). My first thought was to delete it, but I couldn't. The creds were all right so it just needed the CDP.

Got a backup now so thanks for your help.

Good tool, still has a long way to go.

Bob James

Fantastic!!  I'm glad it worked out.

Bronze

Where's the backups?

Hi Bob,

Glad to see it worked out. Thanks to sdeftink for the assistance also.

I've noted your enhancement request about deleting the router after adding the device driver.

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

Where's the backups?

Mike,

This is still showing as not working on the release notes.  So you should verify this and let us know if this is true.

Thanks!

Chris

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content