Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WMI Error filter

Hi Guys,

On monitored devices I will get a message like this infrequently:

WMIDiskDriveStatus Degraded Pred Fail Stressed Unknown Error Service NonRecover No Contact Lost Comm on host <machine name> (<IP>) at 2012-08-17 8:52:53 -0600 - Unknown access error occured. Verify that remote WMI access is configured and enabled on this device.

Then I will get a message like this:

WMIDiskDriveStatus Degraded Pred Fail Stressed Unknown Error Service NonRecover No Contact Lost Comm on host <machine name> (<IP>) at 2012-08-17 8:57:52 -0600 - WMI: Error, Service, NonRecover, No Contact, Lost Comm not present. Degraded, Pred Fail, Stressed, Unknown not present.

So I was wondering if we could have a filter applied to a 'wmi' error where if the first event happens, it polls a second time (like it does now), and if the second event happens, it doesn't send anything for an alert.  in the case that the second event doesn't happen, then we send the error from the first event.

My assumption is that this is caused by a machine starting up from a boot, and the wmi service not responding properly.

Thanks!

Chris

Everyone's tags (3)
5 REPLIES
Bronze

WMI Error filter

Hi Chris,

I've taken note of your request and added it to our list of potential future enhancements.

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

WMI Error filter

Hi,

Any update to this?

Thanks!

Bronze

WMI Error filter

Hi Chris,

We don't have any updates at this time. It is slated for a future release, but I don't have a time frame to provide to you at this time.

Thank you for your patience,

The OnPlus Team

Cisco Employee

WMI Error filter

Hi guys,

I wrote this monitor so I guess I'll chime in here. The WMI montior works like most of the other monitors where once a problem is detected, the item being checked is re-checked after 60 seconds and if still found bad an event is generated. When I created the monitor, I only envisioned people using it to check critical infrastructure, not PCs that were likely to reboot frequently. Shows you what I know as far as how people will ultimately use the software

I've committed a change to the next release that will delay the re-check of WMI-based monitors for 20 minutes, this should give plenty of time for reboots, even with the occasional kernel/software update or service pack being applied (hope I'm not being too optimistic there). For critical infrastructure I think you would want to have a separate ICMP monitor anyway, which would catch an offline host within just a few minutes.

-mike

WMI Error filter

Mike,

I appreciate the response.  I know for us, I like to use the wmi monitors for the desktop/laptops as well because we could have performance issues that are based at the desktop level.  Maybe even if it was 5 mins instead of 20.  I currently get about 5-10 false reports a day on this.

Also, I had included a couple of other WMI queries that would be good (and might help with ip address changes).  Are they anywhere on the radar?

Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content