Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

10 GB Campus - MMF or SMF

I understand that there are severe distance limitations when running 10 GB over MMF. However, when I bring this up everyone wants to know what the maximum distance is. Does anyone have a link to a document in fairly easy language (CIO language) that clearly shows the distance limitations?

3 REPLIES

Re: 10 GB Campus - MMF or SMF

Hi,

It all depends on the physical interface - not the technology as such. There's a nice table (Table 2) that gives an easy to understand overview here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd802a648b_tk214_TSD_Technologies_White_Paper.html

The reason there is a range given for MMF is that it depends on the quality of the fibre you have installed.

If you want the full details of cable quality vs. length then have a look here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6574/product_data_sheet0900aecd801f92aa.html

HTH

Andrew.

When talking MM we are generally spaeking about a couple of hundred meter.

SM cable/interfaces ranges from a couple of kilometers to hundreds of kilometers.

Beyond distance limitations you might also consider the increased capacity that SMF provides. I believe 50/125 MMF has about 2Ghz of bandwidth, while a SMF 8/125 has around 100 TERAhertz. Might not put that extra capacity to use immediately using existing standards, but it might come in handy down the road (especially if future standards--40gig, 100gig--mandate shorter distances).

Also, while the SMF optics are more expensive, you can make up a lot of that because the cable itself is cheaper.

Just something to consider.

-ZA

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content