Views
Helpful
Replies

10 Gbps to Desktop

kalyanccie
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Members

For my CAD/CAM Lab can i have 10 Gbps to the Desktop, i know i Gbps is possible right now, what about 10 gbps.

what are the Cards and switches i need for that, i have four Labs in my Campus, can i have 100 Gbps Backbone, my applications are quite peculiar, it is CAd Design, Multimedia Design for CBTs etc.

regards and thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

No, you can't.

I'm 99% certain that there are no 10GBps NICs available. 10GigE is not (as of yet) made to be a desktop technology, inter-switch / device trunking only.

Keep in mind that most PC desktops only have ~1 Gbps bus capability ... most can't even feed a GigE connection to capacity.

I understand that you are probably using super-duper workstations with lots of CPU and bus bandwidth, but the hardware to hang 10GigE-to-the-desktop is not a practical product (at this point) for many/most/all hardware producers.

As for the 100G trunk, you may be able to use DWDM to get that much bandwidth from point A to point B, but it would be channelized to either 1Gbps or OC48 (~2.4 Gbps) ... lending itself to VLAN-style segmentation, but not a single chunk of bandwidth 100Gbps wide.

Maybe in a few years, but today or in the near future, I don't think so.

Good Luck

Scott

Actually Intel makes a 10Gbps PCI card.

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro10GbE_LR_server_adapter.htm

I am sure that there are a few other companies making them as well.

We are living in amazing times....

Thanks for the link!

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: