Views
Helpful
Replies

2 SAN FABRIC 20Km

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Experts

I  want to connect two san fabric switch away from each other 20KM using a  dedicated fiber in order to replicate san traffic , question is what  transceiver on san fabric should i use to terminate the fiber cable  coming from the MUX ,is SM or MM or must be an FC Transceiver?

thanks

Ibrahim

5 Replies 5

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A little more information would be helpful,

What FC switch are you using?

What speed will you be using for the FC link (2G, 4G, etc) between the two sites?

You mention a MUX, do you have more information on what equipment this is?

Do you have only one fiber to link the two sites?

Thank you,

Hi Tom

1)mds cisco director 9506

2) 2 GiG btween these two director on both site

3)MUX for the company provide us the the 2 Pair fiber

4)i got two pair(for redindancy) each 1 gig

thanks for ur help

ibrahim

If you are being provided the fiber channel link via a MUX owned by a third-party service provider, then you need to ask them what transceiver type (short reach or long reach) and the fiber type necessary to connect to their equipment.  I would hope it would be a short reach, multimode transceiver for low cost.  But, it will depend upon the MUX. 

The following Cisco document outlines the available optical transceivers and the MDS equipment it is compatible with.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps4159/ps6409/ps4358/product_data_sheet09186a00801bc698.html

Hi Tom

since the MDS Director  for FC Traffic, so neither GLC-SX or LH won't work , so the need is to go with FC SFP to connect from the mds to the mux! i norder to forwaed san traafic to mds at the 2nd DC ,am i right

thanks

jamil

Select the correct FC SFP based upon the feedback from the service provider and the Cisco data sheet I attached earlier. It is possible that the two sites may require a different SFP reach (short vs long reach), depending on the distance from the MUX and your MDS equipment.