cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.3ad on ce-1000-4

elivaughan
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to do 802.3ad on a ce-1000-4 card in a cisco 15454?  I have scoured the online information, and i can only find information on how to set up etherchannel or portchannel on catalyst switches and cisco routers.  as it is, our entire network from the first piece of equipment past the 15454 and out is all redundant using either vrrp, 802.3ad or some other redundancy (possibly vendor specific).  the only point of failure is this card in the cisco.  I have messed about alittle in the java interface for the 15454 and i admit im not super familiar with it... but it didnt stick out.

a bit more information, we recently upgraded from a 15454 that supported up to oc-3 to the 10G support model, and with this upgrade came the newest software to that date (about 8 months ago).  the port on the ce-1000-4 card is connected to my switch network, and interally using gfp (generic framing protocol) for ethernet over sonet to an oc12 card (i believe mrc) where we have hot standby oc-12 for redundancy.  at any rate, this is something i have been fighting with, and slightly worried about for several months, and cannot find the answer.  the fight is that the ad links are not only for fault tolerance, but for scalability.  we arent in immediate need of more than 1gig aggregate throughput.... but the office is constantly mutating as we add equipment and aquire companies.  the ad links make me able to physically move equipment without downtime... locally, but i still have full "internet" downtime when i make the final move off the equipment.

thanks in advance for any help/answers you are able to provide.

eli

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The CE-Series cards do not include routing or switching capabilities.  For that you would need the ML-Series cards for the 15454; which support 802.3ad.  The on-line configuration guides outline some of the network implementations.  I found the attached diagram which seems to describe the type of deployment you are trying to achieve.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the equipment on each side of the 15454 network that is being connected through the 15454 CE card can run 802.3ad, then you could install a second CE-card in each 15454 and use 1 GE interface from the Ethergroup to CE-card #1 and one GE interface from the Ethergroup to CE-card #2 (tried to diagram below).

Switch #1 -------- GE #1 Etherchannel Group 1 -------- CE card #1 / OC-n ------------- OC-n / CE card #1 ------------- Switch #2

Switch #1 -------- GE #2 Etherchannel Group 1 -------- CE card #2 / OC-n ------------- OC-n / CE card #2 ------------- Switch #2

The 15454 CE circuits would be oblivious to the fact that the network is running Etherchannl as it creates a dumb pipe for the Ethernet link.  Depending on your bandwidth requirements, the CE circuits could be carried over a single optical link, like an OC-48 or multiple OC-n circuits, using virtual concatonation (VCAT) supported by the CE card; with the option for protected or unprotected SONET circuits.

The above network would provide protection against a single CE card failure.

I hope this helps!

Tom

this isnt... exactly what im talking about.    we get our bandwidth from upstream via the ethernet over sonet.  i have no control over the upstream providers ethernet side.  the first port on teh ce-1000-4 card is our connection to the internet.  i was wanting to make an ad link out of it, much like if it where a switch.

The CE-Series cards do not include routing or switching capabilities.  For that you would need the ML-Series cards for the 15454; which support 802.3ad.  The on-line configuration guides outline some of the network implementations.  I found the attached diagram which seems to describe the type of deployment you are trying to achieve.

thank you .. i believe you are right.  and i believe i read this, was just hoping someone had another answer.  i guess ill have to purchase an ml series card.

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

"as it is, our entire network from the first piece of equipment past the 15454 and out is all redundant using either vrrp, 802.3ad or some other redundancy (possibly vendor specific).  the only point of failure is this card in the cisco"

Hope you have already considered it but even with ML card, you will have 2 ports on the same card and if that card fails. Still you will have single point of fialure. You have to consider what kind of downtime you can have.Etherchannel ports are on same switch or card, i think only VSS switch can make etherchannel with port on different box.

Maybe you can ask your service provider if they can provide you a different link from another box/card or a different provider (Since all this will cost more money so you have to se how much redundancy you want and for what price.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: