cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Alarm reporting

pasquale46
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem with the way that the Cerent is reporting alarms lately. We have been monitoring alarms on a few hundred of these for over a year and I have built all of the rules files. We had always gotten messages through the CerentMIB. All of a sudden I am getting the alarms via the RFC1405 and 1406 MIBs. The difference is significant. The CerentMIB gives specific details on the alarm. The two RFC MIBs come in as "Unknown, Critical" alarms and have to be looked up individually. Is there a reason why some alarms report via the Cerent MIB, some via the RFC MIB, and some report twice using both MIBs? How do I get it back the to the way it was before?

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

A critical alarm indicates a condition that results in a loss of service for which the switch cannot correct. For example, when APS redundancy is not present, a broken trunk cable generates a critical alarm. Immediate action is required.

Critical alarms are the most severe, and minor alarms are the least sever.

A major alarm indicates a component or service failure that currently has minimal impact on service. For example, if one card in a redundant PXM1E configuration fails, the good card takes over and the switch displays a major alarm. Urgent action is required to recover the failed component or service.

A minor alarm indicates a non-service affecting condition that should be corrected. Minor alarms can indicate internal switch failures, such as the failure of a single fan, or external failures that cannot be corrected at the switch

I do not have any issue with the differences between critical, major, minor alarms, etc. The problem I am asking about has to do with the fact that most alarms are picked up via the Cerent MIB. Recently I am having a lot of alarms picked up by the RFC MIBS. Instead of a detailed alarm description that the Cerent MIB provides, the RFC MIB simply states, "Unknown, critical, service affecting alarm." I want to find out why some alarms are picked up by the Cerent MIB, while others are picked up by the RFC MIB. Why has this changed all of a sudden?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: