Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic Fibre Question

polopolopolo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Apologies for this basic question as I really dont have a clue about fibre cabling.

Currently I have 2 cabinets in this building . I have one fibre cable (12 Core) running between the 2 switches in rooms a and b.

I am now getting a new internet connection and they are terminating in room a. I need a fibre connection to room b to connect new internet router  to switch. but needs to be seperate the internal network.

My question is as I have no real knowledge of what 8, 12 core etc means, can I split the existing cable for this purpose. ie to make 2 seperate connections?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would assume your 12 core fiber cable contains 12 individual fibers within a single cable sheath.  The cable would be terminated at each end into a cabinet.  With in each cabinet, the individual fibers would typically be terminated using individual fiber optic connectors, mounted in a patch panel.  Each fiber provides an independent path between the sites.  Each of your Ethernet links would use 2 fibers; one for transmit and one for receive signals. So, with a 12 core fiber, 6 Ethernet links would be supported (without resorting to WDM... which it beyond this post).

The following website is an excellent resource for understanding the basics of fiber optics.

Fiber Optic Association

<http://fiberu.org/>

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: