Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic SFP questions for Small Business Switches

Lee Wade
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Just for fun, I'd like to move to Fiber, running the trunk ports between my two Cisco SG300 lab swiches but I'm new to the media.

Looking at the options, I thought that MM (MGBSX1) is the way to go, but the "Official" SFP's cost an arm and a leg. (keep in mind, this is my lab, not a production environment).

I have a couple of newbie questions, and forgive if this has been answered a hundred times, but I have not been able to find it searching.

1. Do I have to really use Cisco branded trancievers? I've seen non-Cisco 1000BASE-SX SFP on ebay for one-tenth the cost. Bearing in mind that, yes the quality may or may not be the same.
  2. Is MGBSX1 the way to go? Switches are in different rooms so distance is not an issue, my choice was based on cost for trancievers and media.
  3. The SFP ports are rated at only gigabit, but I've seen various higher numbers quoted. Is that a limitation of the switch itself, the protocol being used or the transmission media?

Again sorry if these are newb questions, and thanks in advanced!

Lee

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Randstrom
    VIP Alumni
    VIP Alumni

1. Do I have to really use Cisco branded trancievers? I've seen non-Cisco 1000BASE-SX SFP on ebay for one-tenth the cost. Bearing in mind that, yes the quality may or may not be the same.

According to the SG300's Quick Start Guide "SFP ports are compatible with Cisco modules MGBT1, MGBSX1, MGBLH1, MGBLX1, MGBBX1, MFELX1, MFEFX1, and MFEBX1, as well as other brands of modules."

2. Is MGBSX1 the way to go? Switches are in different rooms so distance is not an issue, my choice was based on cost for trancievers and media.

Choose the type of SFP based upon the links length and available fiber type.  The Small Business SFP Data Sheet provides the information you need.  The MGBSX1 is probably a good choice, low cost, up to 550 meter link length over multimode fiber.

3. The SFP ports are rated at only gigabit, but I've seen various higher numbers quoted. Is that a limitation of the switch itself, the protocol being used or the transmission media?

Each switch is designed to support specific port speeds, based upon the switches designed application in the network.  Optical Transceiver Modules do not support different speeds (as do many electrical ports).  Instead, given the switch port is compatible, the transceiver module can be swapped out to change the speed.  SFP style modules are available at 100Mbps and 1Gpbs; SFP+ modules for 10Gbps; higher speeds have new form factors.  You can view many of the styles of Optical Modules on the Cisco Transceiver webpage.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tom Randstrom
    VIP Alumni
    VIP Alumni

According to the SG300's Quick Start Guide "SFP ports are compatible with Cisco modules MGBT1, MGBSX1, MGBLH1, MGBLX1, MGBBX1, MFELX1, MFEFX1, and MFEBX1, as well as other brands of modules."

Choose the type of SFP based upon the links length and available fiber type.  The Small Business SFP Data Sheet provides the information you need.  The MGBSX1 is probably a good choice, low cost, up to 550 meter link length over multimode fiber.

Each switch is designed to support specific port speeds, based upon the switches designed application in the network.  Optical Transceiver Modules do not support different speeds (as do many electrical ports).  Instead, given the switch port is compatible, the transceiver module can be swapped out to change the speed.  SFP style modules are available at 100Mbps and 1Gpbs; SFP+ modules for 10Gbps; higher speeds have new form factors.  You can view many of the styles of Optical Modules on the Cisco Transceiver webpage.

Good luck!

Ugg didn't see the "other brands and models" in the guide.
    Thanks for the info and the link.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: