cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a GLC-ZX-SM SFP (1000BaseZX) push over 1310 nm SM fiber?

jeffrey.girard
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of stretches of 1310 nm SM fiber that are over 40 KM (about 47.5 KM). Can I use a GLC-ZX-SM to push over that 1310 fiber? The Cisco tech docs indicate the GLC-ZX-SM is for 1550 nm fiber

Jeff

6 Replies 6

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you know what singlemode fiber (SMF) you have? Most SMF supports both 1310nm and 1550nm wavelength transmission windows.

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

"Can I use a GLC-ZX-SM to push over that 1310 fiber"

I dont think there are any fiber which only works for 1300nm or 1550nm.

As per my knowledge ALL Single mode fiber are good for 1300nm & 1550nm wavelength.

There are few things which are different for 1300nmher and something else for 1550nm.

Like i am taking spec of one of the fiber,

Loss at 1300nm for above fiber is 0.40nm dB/Km where as if you send 1550nm through the same loss is 0.25dB/Km.

Similarly dispersion is different when you send 1300nm Vs 1550nm through the same fiber.

So if you are using 1300nm through that fiber till now you can connect 1550nm through it without any problem.

Only thing you should be considered is the age of the fiber and the loss. As with change is technology manufacturer are able to reduce the loss through fiber at a particular wavelngth.

Hi Gupta,

I have a similar situation. A catalyst ME 3400 with 24 FE SFPs. I want to connect to an ISR Cisco 2811 router. With a HWIC-1GE-SFP installed on the router, can I use a 100BASE-FX SFP? The 24 SFPs on the ME 3400 can only do 100Mbps.

Kindly assist.

According to a Q&A document:

"Q. Does HWIC-1GE-SFP support 10/100BASE-T by using 1000BASE-T SFPs?

A. No. HWIC-1GE-SFP only supports 1000 Mbps in full duplex. "Speed" or "duplex" commands are not supported under the interface."

Hi Samuel,

As Tom pointed out in optical ports you cannot choose speed.

Do you have 24 electrical ports or SFP ports?

If you have electrical ports on your switch then you can connect this port to a media converter and then connect the fiber of media converter to router SFP.

Something like this and available in your area. It takes 10/100/1000 Mbps electrical and provide 1000 Optical just check what is wavelngth of your HWIC-1GE-SFP and coose the same wavelngth for media converter.

http://www.versitron.com/gigabit_ethernet_media_converter.html

Michael Dooley
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes.  If it is single-mode fiber this should work fine.  The GLC-ZX-SM SFP will work through up to 70km of single-mode fiber or up to 100km for really premium fiber.  Look at the link I pasted below for more information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5000/ps5250/index.html

Mike Dooley

Cisco Heartland TAC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: