cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I Connect GLC-LH-SMD SFP Module to single fiber lc connector on Cisco 897VA ?

hichamgreen1
Level 1
Level 1

HI All,

Please can I Connect GLC-LH-SMD SFP Module to single fiber lc connector on Cisco 897VA ?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you have only a single glass fiber then the GLC-LH-SMD= is NO good

as that is for dual connection to a fiber pair.

You need more information from your ISP, you will most probably need a GLC-BX-D (1490-nm TX/1310-nm RX ) or a GLC-BX-U(1310-nm TX/1490-nm RX)

see below

1000BASE-BX10-D and 1000BASE-BX10-U SFP for Single-Fiber Bidirectional Applications

The 1000BASE-BX-D and 1000BASE-BX-U SFPs, compatible with the IEEE 802.3ah 1000BASE-BX10-D and 1000BASE-BX10-U standards, operate on a single strand of standard SMF.

A 1000BASE-BX10-D device is always connected to a 1000BASE-BX10-U device with a single strand of standard SMF with an operating transmission range up to 10 km.

The communication over a single strand of fiber is achieved by separating the transmission wavelength of the two devices as depicted in Figure 2: 1000BASE-BX10-D transmits a 1490-nm channel and receives a 1310-nm signal, whereas 1000BASE-BX10-U transmits at a 1310-nm wavelength and receives a 1490-nm signal. As shown, the presence of a wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) splitter integrated into the SFP to split the 1310-nm and 1490-nm light paths.

Figure 4.      Bidirectional Transmission of a Single Strand of SMF

The GLC-BX-D and GLC-BX-U SFPs also support digital optical monitoring (DOM) functions according to the industry-standard SFF-8472 multisource agreement (MSA). This feature gives the end user the ability to monitor real-time parameters of the SFP, such as optical output power, optical input power, temperature, laser bias current, and transceiver supply voltage.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the distance is right, then yes.  

Thank you for your response.

in my case is that i have one glass fiber from ISP Provider and i want to connect it to my SFP module GLC-LH-SMD.

Can i do it ?

If you have only a single glass fiber then the GLC-LH-SMD= is NO good

as that is for dual connection to a fiber pair.

You need more information from your ISP, you will most probably need a GLC-BX-D (1490-nm TX/1310-nm RX ) or a GLC-BX-U(1310-nm TX/1490-nm RX)

see below

1000BASE-BX10-D and 1000BASE-BX10-U SFP for Single-Fiber Bidirectional Applications

The 1000BASE-BX-D and 1000BASE-BX-U SFPs, compatible with the IEEE 802.3ah 1000BASE-BX10-D and 1000BASE-BX10-U standards, operate on a single strand of standard SMF.

A 1000BASE-BX10-D device is always connected to a 1000BASE-BX10-U device with a single strand of standard SMF with an operating transmission range up to 10 km.

The communication over a single strand of fiber is achieved by separating the transmission wavelength of the two devices as depicted in Figure 2: 1000BASE-BX10-D transmits a 1490-nm channel and receives a 1310-nm signal, whereas 1000BASE-BX10-U transmits at a 1310-nm wavelength and receives a 1490-nm signal. As shown, the presence of a wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) splitter integrated into the SFP to split the 1310-nm and 1490-nm light paths.

Figure 4.      Bidirectional Transmission of a Single Strand of SMF

The GLC-BX-D and GLC-BX-U SFPs also support digital optical monitoring (DOM) functions according to the industry-standard SFF-8472 multisource agreement (MSA). This feature gives the end user the ability to monitor real-time parameters of the SFP, such as optical output power, optical input power, temperature, laser bias current, and transceiver supply voltage.

Thank you for your answer ,Richard.

I have Cisco 897va i dont know if it's compatible with (GLC-BX-D/GLC-BX-U) modules ?

yes they are  supported see  data sheet

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/800-series-routers/data_sheet_c78-519930.html

ok Thank you very much for your help.

Hi !

The correct deployment of these transceivers is as following?

Catalyst 3850 -> GLC-BX-D ----> Single Strand of SMF <---- GLC-BX-U-> Catalyst 3850

One GLC-BX-D in one side of the link and one GLC-BX-U in the other side?

(I already have checked the compatibility of both transceivers with the C3850-NM-4-1G)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: