Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Can I Connect GLC-LH-SMD SFP Module to single fiber lc connector on Cisco 897VA ?

HI All,

Please can I Connect GLC-LH-SMD SFP Module to single fiber lc connector on Cisco 897VA ?

Thanks in advance.

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you have only a single

If you have only a single glass fiber then the GLC-LH-SMD= is NO good

as that is for dual connection to a fiber pair.

You need more information from your ISP, you will most probably need a GLC-BX-D (1490-nm TX/1310-nm RX ) or a GLC-BX-U(1310-nm TX/1490-nm RX)

see below

1000BASE-BX10-D and 1000BASE-BX10-U SFP for Single-Fiber Bidirectional Applications

The 1000BASE-BX-D and 1000BASE-BX-U SFPs, compatible with the IEEE 802.3ah 1000BASE-BX10-D and 1000BASE-BX10-U standards, operate on a single strand of standard SMF.

A 1000BASE-BX10-D device is always connected to a 1000BASE-BX10-U device with a single strand of standard SMF with an operating transmission range up to 10 km.

The communication over a single strand of fiber is achieved by separating the transmission wavelength of the two devices as depicted in Figure 2: 1000BASE-BX10-D transmits a 1490-nm channel and receives a 1310-nm signal, whereas 1000BASE-BX10-U transmits at a 1310-nm wavelength and receives a 1490-nm signal. As shown, the presence of a wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) splitter integrated into the SFP to split the 1310-nm and 1490-nm light paths.

Figure 4.      Bidirectional Transmission of a Single Strand of SMF

The GLC-BX-D and GLC-BX-U SFPs also support digital optical monitoring (DOM) functions according to the industry-standard SFF-8472 multisource agreement (MSA). This feature gives the end user the ability to monitor real-time parameters of the SFP, such as optical output power, optical input power, temperature, laser bias current, and transceiver supply voltage.

7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

If the distance is right,

If the distance is right, then yes.  

Thanks you for your response.

Thank you for your response.

in my case is that i have one glass fiber from ISP Provider and i want to connect it to my SFP module GLC-LH-SMD.

Can i do it ?

If you have only a single

If you have only a single glass fiber then the GLC-LH-SMD= is NO good

as that is for dual connection to a fiber pair.

You need more information from your ISP, you will most probably need a GLC-BX-D (1490-nm TX/1310-nm RX ) or a GLC-BX-U(1310-nm TX/1490-nm RX)

see below

1000BASE-BX10-D and 1000BASE-BX10-U SFP for Single-Fiber Bidirectional Applications

The 1000BASE-BX-D and 1000BASE-BX-U SFPs, compatible with the IEEE 802.3ah 1000BASE-BX10-D and 1000BASE-BX10-U standards, operate on a single strand of standard SMF.

A 1000BASE-BX10-D device is always connected to a 1000BASE-BX10-U device with a single strand of standard SMF with an operating transmission range up to 10 km.

The communication over a single strand of fiber is achieved by separating the transmission wavelength of the two devices as depicted in Figure 2: 1000BASE-BX10-D transmits a 1490-nm channel and receives a 1310-nm signal, whereas 1000BASE-BX10-U transmits at a 1310-nm wavelength and receives a 1490-nm signal. As shown, the presence of a wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) splitter integrated into the SFP to split the 1310-nm and 1490-nm light paths.

Figure 4.      Bidirectional Transmission of a Single Strand of SMF

The GLC-BX-D and GLC-BX-U SFPs also support digital optical monitoring (DOM) functions according to the industry-standard SFF-8472 multisource agreement (MSA). This feature gives the end user the ability to monitor real-time parameters of the SFP, such as optical output power, optical input power, temperature, laser bias current, and transceiver supply voltage.

Thank you for your answer

Thank you for your answer ,Richard.

I have Cisco 897va i dont know if it's compatible with (GLC-BX-D/GLC-BX-U) modules ?

yes they are  supported see

yes they are  supported see  data sheet

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/800-series-routers/data_sheet_c78-519930.html

ok Thank you very much for

ok Thank you very much for your help.

Hi !

Hi !

The correct deployment of these transceivers is as following?

Catalyst 3850 -> GLC-BX-D ----> Single Strand of SMF <---- GLC-BX-U-> Catalyst 3850

One GLC-BX-D in one side of the link and one GLC-BX-U in the other side?

(I already have checked the compatibility of both transceivers with the C3850-NM-4-1G)

Views
Helpful
Replies