cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can SFP GLC-GE-100FX work with WS-C2960S-48LPS-L?

Tang-Suan Tan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all :

The whole picture is as below:

One side of fiber port from Cisco AP 1240AG is converted to Multimode Fiber 100MBit so that it to travel long distance to 1G port of WS-C2960S-48LPS-L.

My question here is whether the SFP of model GLC-GE-100FX can use in the C2960 switch to make the link work? Now the link is down.

Is this cable combination work? If not, is it IOS of the switch needs to be upgraded so that it can work? There is 100M to 1G port concern, is there also any configuration need to do like link speed to make it work?

Any cable type needed to be considered for this case?

Please input your valuable opinion and it will provide good reference to this problem.

Thanks!

regards,

tangsuan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Please refer to the configuration guide for details on the operation of the dual-purpose uplink ports on the 2960.

Here is a link.

Generally, as long as you don't have anything plugged in the copper ports, you should be fine as noted above by Tom.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

According to the transceiver compatibility table (here), this combination should work in your switch.

IOS 12.2(53)SE1 is the minimum required level.

Setting the interface parameter "speed 100" should ensure that the IOS knows how to treat the transceiver's capability.

Standard multimode fiber should work fine as long as your distance is less than 2 km.

Hi Marvin :

Thanks to your reply!

I will try to see is there any other problem cause the link still not up. The cable we use is Multi-mode and the whole distance is less than 2km.

If SFP, distance and patch cord are right, the LED should be lighted up even without any configuration, right? Or it is also need to do no shut the ports (Ethernet and BVI) and also speed 100 then the LED can light up after all the configuration?

Please advise.

Thanks and best regards,

tangsuan 

Tangsuan,

You're welcome.

A "no shut" never hurts. You should get link (LED lights up) given a good port at each end and good fiber in between followng the "no shut" and "speed 100" commands.

I have seen fiber-based connections fail to link when either or both of those commands are not done.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
One side of fiber port from Cisco AP 1240AG is converted to Multimode Fiber 100MBit so that it to travel long distance to 1G port of WS-C2960S-48LPS-L.

One side SFP and one side media-coverter?  I don't think this will work.  Both ends must be either a multi-media converter or an SFP.

Marvin, can you verify this?

I've run links with media converter at one end and SFP on the other.

The media converters can be a bit trickier since they may have DIP switches or such to affect their operational characteristics (as opposed to interface commands which govern SFPs' behavior). As long as they're both standards-compliant (100BaseFX or IEEE 802.3u in this case) it should work.

Interesting.  Thanks Marvin.

Hi Marvin and all :

Is there any command in C2960 to activate the SFP module?

regards,

tangsuan

Other than "No Shut", no real command to activate.

You may want to review some of the following Cisco documents on SFP installation and troubleshooting. Maybe something has been overlooked.  

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/installation/note/78_15160.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfd6.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4999/products_tech_note09186a00807a30d6.shtml

Please refer to the configuration guide for details on the operation of the dual-purpose uplink ports on the 2960.

Here is a link.

Generally, as long as you don't have anything plugged in the copper ports, you should be fine as noted above by Tom.

Hi Marvin :

Today I went to site and verify again with another switch no need SFP module and the line is still down. As such, the line no up is due with reason may not concern on the SFP.

After trouble-shooting and confirm that the optical patch is break in between the network line. After connect up the line into the patch panel, the connection is up.

It then conclude that this type of SFP is workable.

Thanks for your input and the problem is resolved now.

Best regards,

tangsuan

You're welcome, Tangsuan. Thanks for the update.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: