cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 1941 router and wan fiber

techfactor13
Level 1
Level 1

Hope someone can point me in the right direction...

have a 1941w router in two sites - main office and a branch office.

we have the opportunity to upgrade from a T1 setup to fiber - 100Mb in both sites

is there a plugin module for the 1941w router to connect directly to fiber?

if so, how would the config go to allow for example a 80/20 split (20Mb internet, 80Mb direct link)?

i found this module, but not sure if it would work:

Cisco EHWIC-1GE-SFP-CU Gigabit Ethernet Enhanced High-Speed WAN Interface Card

thank you

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
is there a plugin module for the 1941w router to connect directly to fiber?

My recommendation is this:  Don't waste your time and money. 

A 1900 router is NOT designed to push 100 Mbps.  A router suitable for 100 Mbps is 3945 or 3925E.  

I agree - the 1941w would be maxed out if you had any services (QoS, ZBFW, VPN, etc.) at all running apart from just basic IP routing 

The appropriate current platform for this would be one of the new ISR 4321 (50-100 Mpbs) or ISR 4331 (100-300 Mbps).

Nickortega
Level 1
Level 1
Model #: EHWIC-1GE-SFP-CU
Cisco 1900/2900/3900 Series 1-Port Gigabit Ethernet EHWIC Module

Nickortega
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco Enhanced High-Speed WAN interface card, EHWIC-1GE-SFP-CU brings both SFP and copper Gitabit Ethernet connectivity to Cisco ISRs. For flexibility the EHWIC-1GE-SFP-CU includes 1 SFP slot and a copper RJ-45 port. The SFP port supports DOM (Digital Optical Monitoring). Since this is a true routed port card, the user can configure IP addresses directly on the interface and does not have to configure the port for VLAN trunking. The maximum throughput of the EHWIC cannot exceed 800 Mbps bidirectionally.

@Nickortega I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm or participation, but did want to mention, when you reply to an almost nine year old posting, what's the benefit your posting is providing?

For example, that module also went end-of-sale many years ago, and it you've one keep current on maintenance contracts, it goes fully end-of-(HW)support, 2/29/24, and is considered, then, totally obsolete by Cisco.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: