Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2911 SFP Question

slstrunk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Have what I hope is a simple question for you. How best to connect my 250 Mbit/s internet circuit to a newly arrived Cisco 2911? We're changing over our internet circuit from being managed by AT&T (includes router) to an unmanaged one (we provide router). The existing demarc extension terminates in a mult-mode LC connector and connects to a SFP module in the managed AT&T router.

Was sent a 2911 with no additional modules or cards.  I have some GLC-SX-MM= SFP modules, but did not see any SFP slots in the 2911. Do I have to go with a higher router, like the 2921? Or are there SFP carrier cards or other modules we can use from Cisco?  Thanks.

Scott

3 Replies 3

chris-hart
Level 1
Level 1

I think you need an HWIC-1GE-SFP interface card, data sheet says the GLC-SX-MM is supported in the HWIC, make sure you have the minimum software image (15.0(1)M) and package (IP Base) loaded on the 2911 router.

Link to data sheet which should answer all your questions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016be8d.html

Chris

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For the ISR G2, like the 2900, you should be looking for the EHWIC-1GE-SFP-CU.

How best to connect my 250 Mbit/s internet circuit to a newly arrived Cisco 2911?

However, the main question is this:  Can a 2911 handle 250 Mbps bandwidth?  The answer is no.  The 2911 can handle 180.73 Mbps of traffic.  This value is express in HALF duplex and without any encryption.

I believe a 3925E can support 250 Mbps of traffic (full dupex, full encryption).

Appologies for missing the 250Mbs requirement I was to busy focusing on the SFP.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: