Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4900M integrated X2 ports, CVR-X2-SFP10G and SFP-10G-SR

asentchernaev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are going to order two(2) cisco 4900M switches for core and twelve (12) 2960S switches for access (4 stacks with 3 switches each), connected to the core with 10G MM optical paths (up to 300M each).  In addition I have one gigabit half-card but it is not related to my questions here. Please see my attached diagram.

So my questions are:

1. Point 1.Can we use integrated eight X2 ports of every of the both 4900M switches as plugging into four of them four convertors CVR-X2-SFP10G and to plug on every of the convertors sfp tranceivers SFP-10G-SR - as it is described on the diagram, or I need for something more in addition to described? I found only some minimum soft releases to use as requirement to use these convertors and sfp tranceivers, but is there something additional I need?

Note:I'm asking that because Dynamic Conf Tool doesn't give me to do such configuration, actually these convertors and SFPs are missing there at all, but it sometimes happens with some products...  In documentation it is described this should work (if I didn't pass something which is my main consern and why I'm asking here).

2.Point 3.If this shouldn't work, the other alternative (not described in my diagram) is to use X2-10GB-SR modules without any SFPs - just ot use SC connectors for the optical cables instead of LC. So my question in that case is will 10G links work between X2-10GB-SR at one side and SFP-10G-SR at the other side where I have 2960S switches and this is the only option? Is is expected to have some problems in that scenario?

Note:Actually if Point 1 is workable I prefer to use it instead of Point 2 because of minor price optimization when using SFPs with convertors in comparisson to X2-10GB-SR.

3. If the both variants are possible, which one is preffered and why, what advantages does it have (for example low latency of something else)?

Thank You in Advance

Asen

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your first approach will work with respect to the transceivers.

The second alternative will work equally well - there should be no performance or interoperability issues.

View solution in original post

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just for your information, a fiber link does not care if one end of the fiber has an GBIC (SC-type connector) and the other end has a SFP (LC-type of connector); or any other transceiver footprint (X2, CFP, etc.)..  The thing that is important is that each module is the same specification, and matches the fiber type and link length of the network (10GBASE-SX in this example).

Good luck.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your first approach will work with respect to the transceivers.

The second alternative will work equally well - there should be no performance or interoperability issues.

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just for your information, a fiber link does not care if one end of the fiber has an GBIC (SC-type connector) and the other end has a SFP (LC-type of connector); or any other transceiver footprint (X2, CFP, etc.)..  The thing that is important is that each module is the same specification, and matches the fiber type and link length of the network (10GBASE-SX in this example).

Good luck.