Views
Helpful
Replies

Compatibility SFP

Jacob.maricar
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

I currently have several Cisco C2960X-24TD-L. I would savois it is possible to interconnect two SFP GLC-SX-MMD and GLC-LH-SMD with a multimode cable.
Where the light switch is connected to the GLC-LH-SMD lights but the GLC-SX-MMD does not light. Will he make an order?

kind regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I would savois it is possible to interconnect two SFP GLC-SX-MMD and GLC-LH-SMD with a multimode cable.

Not possible.  Both modules (and associated cables) must be of the same wavelength.  It's either GLC-SX-MMD-to-GLC-SX-MMD (with Multi-Mode cable) or GLC-LH-SMD-to-GLC-LH-SMD (with Single-Mode cable).

View solution in original post

it seemed that the SFP GLC-LH-SMD could do both singlemode and Multi-mode. 

1.  State your source where you formed your conclusions from.  I'll poke holes in it faster than a buckshot. 

2.  Do you know how much each SFP cost?  I hope you do because if you try this stunt, you'll be permanently "burning" the optics of the LH module (after prolong use).  

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I would savois it is possible to interconnect two SFP GLC-SX-MMD and GLC-LH-SMD with a multimode cable.

Not possible.  Both modules (and associated cables) must be of the same wavelength.  It's either GLC-SX-MMD-to-GLC-SX-MMD (with Multi-Mode cable) or GLC-LH-SMD-to-GLC-LH-SMD (with Single-Mode cable).

Thank you for your reply, it seemed that the SFP GLC-LH-SMD could do both singlemode and Multi-mode. 

So if I understand this is only for the cable, can you confirm ?

it seemed that the SFP GLC-LH-SMD could do both singlemode and Multi-mode. 

1.  State your source where you formed your conclusions from.  I'll poke holes in it faster than a buckshot. 

2.  Do you know how much each SFP cost?  I hope you do because if you try this stunt, you'll be permanently "burning" the optics of the LH module (after prolong use).  

Thank you again for your answers. To my sources, this is a colleague who ordered thinking that it would work ... We know how expensive SFP but really thought it was possible to connect SFP GLC-LH-SMD to GLC-SX MMD.

We are not experts in optics we cope as we can. Now that the mistake is made, we will make do. ;)

Now that the mistake is made, we will make do. 

1.  We all mistakes.  You should see what I've done.  

2.  Did you open the boxes to the wrong SFP?  If no, you still have a chance to return the component.   If you have, did you open the plastic bag?  If no, you still have the chance to return the component.

We are not experts in optics we cope as we can. 

Neither am I when I started but if you read some of Tom's or Marvin's posts/responses, you will be.  

Thanks Leo - we all stand on the shoulders of giants. :)

Now I know that this forum exists, I would do it   ;)

Hi Leo,

May I know what kind of Fiber Patch cord can use for GLC-SX-MMD=.

1. SFP to SFP

2. SFP to ODB

(for example LC to ST type for ODB to SFP,...)

thank you,

Kaung

Kaung,

The GLC-SX-MMD= transceiver requires a duplex LC connector on the patch cord end that plugs into it.

The Optical Distribution Box (ODB) end of the connection is dependent on what type of patch connectors are installed there. The ODB refers to the enclosure and does not specify the type of mechanical plugs for the fiber that it houses.

They are often ST type but you need to inspect them visually and/or confirm with your provider or fiber installer what type are installed and order patch cables accordingly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: