cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring APS for 10G ITU w/ Splitter

fi72231
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have experience on configuring APS for 10G ITU card with Splitter so that in a case of signal degrade it will switchover to the protection path? The default switchover mechanism is based on LOL (Loss-Of-Light) but it wont help if signal degrades for example to -25dB. All experiences and best practices are wellcome.

5 Replies 5

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

APS provides protection against signal transmission failure. Cisco supports the following APS features.

1. 1+1 path protection

2. Splitter protection

3. Line card protection and many more .For more information on how to configure APS have a look at the following URL.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2011/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008046cf0d.html#wp1061881

I know the protection schemes (client, splitter, Y-cable etc.) but my question is how to configure splitter protection so that in a case of signal degrease it will do switchover to the protection path.

See below an output from ONS15530:

ONS15530_1>sh aps

AR : APS Role, Wk: Working, Pr: Protection

AS : APS State, Ac: Active, St: Standby, NA: Not Applicable

IS : Interface State, Up: Up, Dn: Down

MPL: Minimum Protection Level, SD: Signal Degrade, SF: Signal Failure

LOX: Loss of Light/Loss of (CDR) Lock/Loss of Frame/Sync,

LOL: Loss of Light, - not currently protected

Interface AR AS IS MPL Redundant Intf Group Name

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wavepatch1/0/0 Wk Ac Up LOX Wavepatch1/0/1 CH1

Wavepatch1/0/1 Pr St Up - Wavepatch1/0/0 CH1

So APS will switch to the protection path only in a case of Loss of Light/Loss of (CDR) Lock/Loss of Frame/Sync. So it WONT do the failover if RX signal level degreases below the minimum RX level (-23dB for 10G ITU card), because there is still light coming (not LOL case). So how do I protect my system against this kind of signal degreade?

rgds,

Jp

Splitter cards trigger their switching mechanism according to the value configured for the low alarm value (not low warning), which you can see here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/optical/ps2011/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008046cad3.html#wp1083657

You can't do full performance monitoring-based protection with splitter protection, because you'd need two monitoring devices (one for active path, one for standby path) hence two receivers (=2xtransponder). The receiver protection switch is before the receiver to optimise costs with a single receiver.

Hope this helps.

p.

Problem that I had, was that RX power went to -25dB and ITU card didn't do the switchover. I know that ITU card SHOULD do the failover when RX power goes below -22dB - but it didn't. So to be on the safe side on future, I was wondering if someone has configured threshold triggers, like in the doc/url below:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/mels/15530/12_2_sv/config2/hcg_trnk.htm#wp1033760

regards,

Jp

I got an answer from a colleaque, there is a BUG: CSCsc48011 opened for this issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco