Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

CWDM SFP Gbic modules

Can I use a pair of the CWDM SFP Gbics between two cat 3550s for a basic CWDM point to point back bone segment. Other than the size what is the difference between the SFP gbics and the regular size? Why is the price cheaper for the SFP gbics?

Thanks..

2 REPLIES
Gold

Re: CWDM SFP Gbic modules

You can use a pair of CWDM GBICs between two Cat3550 switches, but you cannot use a pair of CWDM SFP optical transceivers. The 3550s take GBICs only. (The SFPs fit Cat3750 switches.) Just be sure to match up the wavelengths at each end, and have at least 12dB of in-line attenuation between the GBICs to avoid overloading the receive optics.

Generally speaking, size, connector type (SC versus LC) and electrical interface of the optical transceivers are the only differences between GBICs and SFPs. Cisco's list prices are the same whether GBIC or SFP, for SX (US$500), LX/LH (US$995), and ZX (US$3,995) varieties.

I don't have pricing information handy on the CWDM versions, but I would expect them to cost the same for a given wavelength/color whether GBIC or SFP. I would also expect the CWDM ones to cost a little more than the ZX models because they have to be more precise with respect to their transmit and receive optics, since they're operating at discrete wavelengths within the 1550nm region (1470-1610nm).

Hope this helps.

Re: CWDM SFP Gbic modules

Konig, thanks for the reply, this is what I have seen for $799 apice. But they "look" like tranceivers so they won't work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3048833620&category=11185

Too bad though for the price was much better than what the CWDM gbics go for.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards..

Views
Helpful
Replies